2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0700 Check Engine Code - Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
scottnicholson91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0700 Check Engine Code - Transmission

Year: 2004
Engine: 3.7L
Transmission: 42RLE (auto)

For a couple weeks now I have had sort of random occurrences with my transmission not shifting into 4th, it'll just get stuck in 3rd. After some research on my own I have narrowed the issue down to be 1 or more of 3 fixes.

1. Input & Output Sensors - Super easy and cheap fix. Each sensor costs ~$20, and is held on simply by an 8mm bolt. I could do this no problem.

2. Solenoid Pack - More expensive and more complicated fix. I know it involves actually going into the transmission. I watched a few videos and feel relatively comfortable doing this as well. I could probably use a transmission fluid and filter change anyways.

3. Transmission Control Module (TCM) - This is actually the fix that I am most confident in that this is the culprit. I have a few friends that have Dakota's and one of them said his 05 had the same issue and it was the TCM. Unfortunately he didn't do the fix so he doesn't know much about it. So here are my questions: (1) Where can I get a new one? (2) Are they all refurbished? From a simple Google search they seem pretty hard to find and the ones I was able to find (not sure if they would match my trans) were all refurbished. (3) Where is this thing located on my truck? Is it like the Solenoid Pack, being that it is INSIDE the transmission, or is in the engine bay somewhere? I saw on some vehicles that it is around the engine but I cannot seem to find it at all. (4) Does it have to be "VIN Flashed"? I saw on some other forums that this is something a dealership would have to do because it has to be "VIN flashed". I have no clue what that means, so if someone could define that for me too that'd be great.

I've done almost all the repairs on my truck, but transmission is something I am new too that's why I have so many questions. I'm pretty competent with tools and DIY jobs so I'm fairly confident in my ability to do the job along with the knowledge I get from here.

The more details the better, if you can find pics that would apply they would probs help too.

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Quick Reply: P0700 Check Engine Code - Transmission