2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Freeze Out Plug Dripping

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freeze Out Plug Dripping

I have a leaking freeze out plug on the back of my engine that has started seeping coolant. My mechanic is going to attack the problem in the next week or so but in the meantime I was wondering what others have experienced? I'm going to assume that if one is currently leaking, the others are probably going to start eventually as well. Is it logical to just replace them all now or wait until each one starts going? Are there better ones to install, perhaps made of stainless? I've had the truck since new and plan on keeping it until I can no longer drive if possible. (I'm currently 66) I am thinking that logic says change them all while the job is under way. The mechanic is thinking that pulling the tranny might be the better way for access to the rear plug, but I don't know how accessible the other plugs are with the engine still in place or if the plug deterioration is an issue, or if this is an anomaly.

I also need to point out that this requires the removal of either the engine or the transmission to get the job done.

Last edited by patchelect; 04-17-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:22 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually it's just the ones that are on the lowest level where all the sediment settles and starts corroding.

It's a gamble really doing one at a time or yanking the engine out and doing them all.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid you'd say that!!!

I expect the work to be undertaken the first week in May and I'll try to remember to post what we do then.

Quick Reply: Freeze Out Plug Dripping