2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radio staying of with key out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio staying of with key out.

My stereo just recently started doing this:
When I go to take the key out the radio keeps playing.

I thought it was a short or something but was told it was the ignition switch so I purchased a new one from Napa.
Well it still would not shut off with the key out. Went through and checked the constant on + and I checked the acc power wire. checked out that the acc power wire was not turning off with the switch so it was not the stereo.

I was looking around the dodge forum and saw that someone posted the Hold the trip odometer button and turn the key on.
This does a self check and checks your gauges. Well when I did that guess what?? Fixed my problem.
Just posting this for someone to tell me what this exactly does. Hope if someone else has this problem to try the check your
gauges thing first. I am unsure but as soon as I did this it fixed my problem.

If someone can tell me what exactly this does then thanks in advance.

2004 dodge dakota 4.7L

The new ignition switch from napa is alot tighter when I turn the key so it wasn't money wasted.
thanks again.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by tspeed109
My stereo just recently started doing this:
When I go to take the key out the radio keeps playing.

I thought it was a short or something but was told it was the ignition switch so I purchased a new one from Napa.
Well it still would not shut off with the key out. Went through and checked the constant on + and I checked the acc power wire. checked out that the acc power wire was not turning off with the switch so it was not the stereo.

I was looking around the dodge forum and saw that someone posted the Hold the trip odometer button and turn the key on.
This does a self check and checks your gauges. Well when I did that guess what?? Fixed my problem.
Just posting this for someone to tell me what this exactly does. Hope if someone else has this problem to try the check your
gauges thing first. I am unsure but as soon as I did this it fixed my problem.

If someone can tell me what exactly this does then thanks in advance.

2004 dodge dakota 4.7L

The new ignition switch from napa is alot tighter when I turn the key so it wasn't money wasted.
thanks again.
clarification- the part the key goes into is the Key Cylinder

The Ignition Switch is further down the column where all the wires attach.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I had the same reaction when I replaced my switch, down on the column.

That's not uncommon - the springs in the old one were so shot I could flip it around in my hand no huhu, but the new one required some lever advantage to move, so the key action (being at the OTHER end of that rod and lever design!) was stiffer.

(And on my Cougar, when I bought it, since the ignition switch had come apart, the key action actually had resistance with the new switch installed - before, if you glared hard at it, it'd move ... *grins* )

RwP

Quick Reply: Radio staying of with key out.