2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ABS Lights back on

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
jasnsan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Lights back on

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4x4 4.7L automatic, Original owner and just crossed 100,000 miles. Love my truck however it does something very annoying. The abs and brake lights come on/off intermittently when:
1) March---Nov time of the year, VA heat I guess. Goes away for winter on its own.
2) Code P0500 Vehicle speed sensor rear ( replaced 4 times since ~ 60k mark typically each spring) never last for more than a week or two
3) Now I am able to pull code 35 Dodge ABS Shorted ISO Coil Rear, from the ABS section of my code reader tool
4) I have also noticed that if I place weight in the bed I can almost guarantee when I start it back up it will pop on. The flexing action of the bed?
5) Occasionally the speedometer will drop away and come back.

I have confirmed brake fluids are up to the proper mark, replaced the rear speed sensor several times 2 via garage and 2 myself. I suspect it is in the wiring from the rear speed sensor and hand traced the cable back up to the engine compartment but cannot find any obvious opens/cuts/etc in the cable harness. I was stunned to find a harness connector joint behind the drivers side wheel well but couldn't find anything wrong with it.
With this new code I am getting (code 35) It points to something I am unfamilar with. Any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds exactly as its telling you an ABS Shorted ISO Coil Rear

Trace the wires going to the rear ABS sensor you have replaced a few times sounds like you have some pinched wires I know you have looked but look again.

Do you have all wheel ABS? If so maybe its a front ABS wheel sensor.

This may sound weird/wrong but pull your rear Diff cover and check things out look for damage.

Have the sensors you replaced looked damaged in any way?

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-11-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 PM
jasnsan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked on the pdf from the forum and on google but I have had no luck in identifying the ABS ISO Coil Rear. Is this just another name for the rear differential speed sensor?
My truck has Power Disc/Drum Rear Anti-Lock brakes.
We retraced the cable harness from the rear speeed sensor to the ABS module in the engine compartment again tonight but no luck on finding a pinched cable so far.
The sensors I have replaced did not look damaged but you got me wondering if my rear differential fluid was low would that cause sensors to overheat prematurely? I don't claim to be an expert so it maybe a dumb question.
Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Well I know we had one guy on the forum that had the back brakes that kept locking up he had many places try and find what was going on. I suggested dumping his Diff oil and replacing it and problem was solved so this could be the same for you.

I think if the oil is contaminated it can through off the sensor or you could have damage in the Diff. Easy to check and replace the oil not very expensive also about $35 for oil and gasket with some RTV sealant.

Easy to do and cheap

Quick Reply: ABS Lights back on