2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Yes, cupholders

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 PM
lambs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, cupholders

I have a '97 3.9l 5 speed stick shift, with two pretend cup holders floor mounted behind the gear shift, so every shift into 2nd or 4th gear can knock over a cup. Brilliant design, Dodge!

Other than use a small cup, has anyone found aftermarket cupholders that work on this truck? The best thing I have found so far is to clip a window mount cupholder on the glove box door and reach across the cab when thirsty. I can't use the window mount on the window because the door panel is so thick.....

Thanks in advance for any ideas out there.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:06 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Most people have an auto trans this avoids this ....I think

Funny how what was made for old people that cant shift is now standard people just don't want to shift anymore. Even though I must admit shifting in the city stop and stop and stop can wear your foot down some after about 30 minutes.

I would say manual accounts for maybe 10% if that now.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a cup holder for my truck at Walmart, but it was almost 10 years ago. It is the "Spill Master" brand and has 2 cup holders that are adjustable to fit different size drinks. I don't think Walmart sells that one any more but this one on Amazon is just about the exact same thing as mine:

Amazon.com: Hopkins SMT Twin Cupholder (Black): Automotive Amazon.com: Hopkins SMT Twin Cupholder (Black): Automotive

I used 2 pieces of medium density fiberboard (mdf) and sandwiched 2 pieces of plumbing strap between them, removed the 2 screws under the little storage tray in my console, screwed the cup holder to the mdf and ran the 2 screws for the storage tray through the holes in the plumbing straps to anchor the cupholder in place. I also spray painted the mdf black so it would not be noticeable. If you have the 60/40 bench seat with the gap between the center seat section and the lower edge of your shifter console this method might work for you too. Mine has been perfect ever since I put it in my truck. It will hold any size of drink but I use my one factory cup holder for the big 32 oz. cups, they get in the way of shifting gears.

I had also answered another post about this same cup holder problem a few years ago:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...k-holders.html

I guess it has been a while and the pics I added are now archived, but here they are again. My interior was dirty but you can get an idea of what I did with the cup holder:

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

I think Auto Zone may still sell a cup holder similar to the Spill Master. If you can find one, I hope this solution works for you, but I don't know how much different your interior is from mine.

Jimmy

Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 PM
lambs
Professional

Thanks! I will check it out. My console appears to be similar in size to yours, but my console tray is beside the shift lever, and I have two cupholders in my console where your console tray sits. I may need to make a visit to AutoZone and see if they stock a similar model.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM
lambs
Professional
Default Well I checked it.

No such room between my console tray and the front of the seat for another cupholder, unless I put a spacer under it to make it level with the console tray and let the new cupholder sit over the top of it. Even that may not work.

Quick Reply: Yes, cupholders