2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 4.7 stalling when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Did you use OEM or aftermarket fuel pump? I haven't had any issues, but with 270K, I suppose mine is nearing the tail end of it's life. How bad was it dropping the gas tank on the Quad cab?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Did you use OEM or aftermarket fuel pump? I haven't had any issues, but with 270K, I suppose mine is nearing the tail end of it's life. How bad was it dropping the gas tank on the Quad cab?
I went with the Delphi. I've used cheap brand fuel pumps in other vehicles in the past and it's never worth the $40 or $50 you might save on the front end.

Dropping the tank was not bad at all. I didn't even jack the truck up. It is lifted 2" but still probably wouldn't have jacked it up either way. It's just one bolt for each of the 2 straps that holds the tank in. Plus all the plumbing on the top. Pretty much just unbolt the filler neck (3 T25 torx screws behind the gas cap) and then I let the tank down. Then I pulled the hoses and wiring off the top of the tank once it was on the ground. I let the tank run almost dry and had a helper to lower it. If I didn't have someone helping I think I could have got it on my own with a jack to lower it, but it was WAY easier to just sort of lay under there and bench press it down. (one side at a time)

I think to "do it right" you would want to jack it up tall enough to let the straps swing down and out of the way of the tank, but I just bent them over with a BFH and then hammered them back into place when I was done.

Quick Reply: 2001 4.7 stalling when cold