2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What is This Part? No Start Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 05:31 PM
CraCraBotanist20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is This Part? No Start Issue.

I just bought this '98 Dodge Dakota Sport manual transmission. I was told that at times the truck won't start but once you tap this device with a screw driver it starts right up.
What is this part?

Last edited by CraCraBotanist20; 02-14-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Adding more detail of truck
Old 02-14-2016, 05:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum..the part is your Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It is the computer that controls and monitors your engine and fuel management. Sounds like yours has an internal problem. They can be replaced. Look online for rebuilders and you can also search topics here from others who have had theirs rebuilt or replaced.

Jimmy

Old 02-14-2016, 06:00 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It may easily be bad - you're describing the effect of a bad connection.

HOWEVER.

Before I replaced it, I'd:

a) Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.

b) Then, remove and replace each of the three connectors at least five times.

c) Reconnect the negative battery cable and see if the problem appears to be fixed over at least a dozen starts.

If it does, then it's just oxidation or fretting at the connectors. Disconnecting/reconnecting will polish the connectors by the rubbing friction; and can make the bad connection be not so bad. (I firmly believe over 50% of the "bad ECU" posts are actually just bad connectors, and the removal/installation did the cure, not the swap itself. But that's a WAG, no basis in evidence, just a gut feel from decades with electronics.)

If that does appear to fix it, grab a tube of dielectric grease (or "bulb grease" as it's also known) and do the a) again, then clean the cavities out with cleaner (such as CRC's Electronic Component Cleaner, available at most auto parts stores - or another brand of the same thing!), put some dielectric grease in the cavity, and then repeat c).

That will help to seal it against oxygen to keep it working well as long as possible.

RwP

Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

RalphP I agree 100% especially in the rust belt states bad connections are very common problems. Out West thats not common at all but can still happen. Start with the simplest solution first

Quick Reply: What is This Part? No Start Issue.