2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Will this radio fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 PM
CKeene88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will this radio fit?

I just got a 99 Dodge Dakota and the guy before me has an after market radio in the truck that wont even power on.
So my questions are how do I go about taking the dash off and getting the radio out and will a 96 Ram's radio fit in the Dakota?
Oh, also the truck is missing the antenna so if anyone knows how to replace that it would help out too.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:55 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the Forum..Yes a 96 radio will fit the dash in your 99 and should plug right in to the factory radio wire connectors, provided they are still intact. It is easy to remove the dash panel in a 99. Set the parking brake, put the gear shifter in low if you have an automatic. Then start at the left side of the dash and pull out on the panel to remove the retainer clips. Work your way across toward the right side of the truck and remove the dash panel. Then there are two 10mm bolts holding the dead aftermarket unit and installation kit in place, remove those and you can check out the wiring. You might have a blown fuse or bad ground causing the dead radio so it could actually be OK. You can get a new antenna mast either online or at any good independent car stereo store.

Jimmy

Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

I will tell you after-market antenna never fit good always a little lose now stock or OEM antenna are dealer only and cost a fortune all the parts cost you about $130 total after-market about $20 the dealer sticks it to you BAD. You may be better off getting an OEM off a junker but be sure its an OEM antenna only problem is getting it off the junker. You could try one of those window sticker antenna's I was thinking of trying one but spent the $$ on an OEM.

Amazon.com: ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck: Electronics Amazon.com: ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck: Electronics

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cf3SKJ8...t-Antenna.html

Amazon.com : Car Internal Glass Screen Amplified Antenna with Signal Amplifier : MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com : Car Internal Glass Screen Amplified Antenna with Signal Amplifier : MP3 Players & Accessories

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 02-21-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:49 PM
CKeene88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you the radio fit perfectly and I've always liked the look of a radio that is made for that company over the silver look of an aftermarket even if it does have more features.
On to my second problem will the antenna base off of a 96 Ram fit on my 99 Dakota and if so how difficult is it to remove?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:39 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Ram antenna probably will not work, but I am just taking a good guess at it. I would think the curvature of the fender and the angle of the Ram antenna base would not match that of a Dakota. You could always try it and see. Antenna removal should be easy, remove the mast, remove the base mounting nut, thread the mast back on and use it to guide the antenna body out through the space between the door and the door jamb. The same procedure in reverse will guide the antenna base into place on your Dakota.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Will this radio fit?