2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Got a 2000 Dakota, could use some advice on the best way to black it out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM
jacob.crouch17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Got a 2000 Dakota, could use some advice on the best way to black it out.

Hey guys, I'm new on this site because I recently just bought my first car. I bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport Ext. Cab 3.9L Magnum V6. The guy I bought it from ripped all of the carpet out of the interior. so the interior is kind rough, and the exterior has some little rust spots. Although the truck has some huge rust spots. I love blacked out trucks and have seen some sick blacked out trucks on the forums. I'd love to black out my truck, paint it myself replace the head and tail lights. I just need some tips and advice on how I should paint it. I've looked up a lot of ways to repaint trucks, but I'm still divided on how to do it. Please respond with some advice if you guys have some, thanks!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Do you intend to rattle can it or do you have professional painting equipment? What is your overall budget for the paint job? In order to provide any useful advice, it would be helpful to know how much time and money you are willing to invest. First though, you will need to fix that rust before you do anything.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:06 PM
jacob.crouch17

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do you intend to rattle can it or do you have professional painting equipment? What is your overall budget for the paint job? In order to provide any useful advice, it would be helpful to know how much time and money you are willing to invest. First though, you will need to fix that rust before you do anything.
Thanks for replying, my budget is about $150 for the paint job. Everything else I'm willing to pay whatever. I know paint jobs can be very pricey, close to $1000. So, I would like to do it myself if possible. It might not be possible since I don't have professional painting equipment.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM
jacob.crouch17

I won't be driving the truck for another month, but I really don't have a time period. I would love to give it the best paint job for the money ($100-150).

Old 04-13-2016, 03:18 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have not looked in a few years but $1K is a super low end paint job about as low as you can go.

My Dakota just lost almost all the clear coat and have been thinking of a DIY rattle can job make it look like a hard rat rod look old and beat-up.

Cant stand the crap look it has now looks like Godzilla barfed on my truck.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:45 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob.crouch17
I won't be driving the truck for another month, but I really don't have a time period. I would love to give it the best paint job for the money ($100-150).
Good paint jobs are in the range of $3000-5000 nowadays. $100-150 wont even get you a low end cheap POS paint job from Maaco. I suggest, if that's your realistic budget, you search for plastidip or bedliner paint job on you tube. The prep work is the same for any paint job, it's how much work you want to put into it which will determine the quality of the outcome. Fix the rust, sand, sand, sand, prime, sand some more. you get the picture.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:33 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine in bedliner and am very happy with the results. The product is called Monstaliner and they have over 40 different colors.

Total cost was around $400. Here is a link to the writeup:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...nstaliner.html

Old 04-17-2016, 05:04 PM
bigclubs
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the clearcoat disease on my old Jeep cherokee Years ago and went to a few shops and asked to just have the vehicle shot with a coat of paint. The price back several years was in the range of $2-3K because just to lay a coat of paint the jeep they needed to have All the clearcoat removed. I removed the clear coat with a window scraper, that how much it was pealing already. Since they wanted so much, I just used several spray cans and it looked better than black with huge white blotches all over it. $100-150 would only cover the cost of the paint and clearcoat today due to the cost of paint. If you have someone with a compressor, I found the paint sprayers from Harbor Freight can give you a decent paint job if you do it yourself. Actually used the touch-up small sprayer to paint the hood on a Pontiac Sunbird. Used Rustoleum Red and it was almost a perfect match for a 20 year old car. Thinned out the paint some and sprayed good. So you don't have to be a professional painter, just prep and take your time with the spray gun. Looked at the actual blue color for my 2000 Dakota and was given a price @50-70 dollars just for the paint, not including the clearcoat. Gone are the days when Macco offered a repaint job for $150 back in the 80's.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Closest paint job you will get for your budget is a 1 or 2 gal of paint and a roller... Some guys laugh when they hear it but if you take your time and have a semi clean inside area to do it the job can actually look pretty decent for the money invested... Other option is find someone who has plasti dip equipment.. My buddy does trucks for 250.. Looks pretty good too..

I've done 3 on woods vehicles and 1 work truck before and it came out pretty well.. Rustolem and tractor implement paint is all ive ever used

IMG_0062_zpsjhslifrp.jpg

0612091550_zpsi0ucypne.jpg

Quick Reply: Got a 2000 Dakota, could use some advice on the best way to black it out.