2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016 | 12:14 AM
shadowthedakota
|
Record Breaker
Default Leaf springs?

Hey guys I just got a 2000 dakota txt to match my lifted 93 but I noticed that it vibrates a bit over 50mph. I crawled under the truck and to me it looks like the axle is angled upwards. The rear leafs have a bend in them and only 3 in a pack on eack side. Is that normal and are my leafs weak? Would rear leafs from an older dakota work because I have four packs of them laying in my garage.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2016 | 04:56 PM
shadowthedakota
|
Record Breaker

Okay guys I figured it out in case anyone else has this issue. One of the previous owners out lift blocks in the rear and never put the center pins back into the leaf packs. The leafs moved around and cause the axle to rotate which destroyed the old transfer case. I had some extra lead springs laying around so I took the pins out and put them in the packs and put it all back together and problem solved.

Old 05-19-2016 | 07:04 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran

what do you use for clamps/clasps around your packs ? i guess they come in different sizes, for thickness ?

Old 05-20-2016 | 02:55 PM
shadowthedakota
|
Record Breaker

I used the factory clamps. They were still on just moved over. The pins I used from a set of leafs off a 1st gen dakota

Quick Reply: Leaf springs?