2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 doesnt like to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Jayson McBride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 doesnt like to start

Howdy. Lost my other login here, I lurk quite a bit but this is my first post. I always do my own work on my own vehicles (between the wife and I we are up to 8) but this one has me stumped...

I have a 2002 Dak 4.7 2wd, mileage at 132k, Ive had it since 75k. Bought 2 years ago. Ive had the usual suspension problems... wheel bearings, ball joints etc.

I am having problems with it starting. Its completely random. Sometimes it fires right up and runs great... Other times i have to crank it for 10ish seconds and pump the gas to get it to start (not sure pumping the gas changes anything)... I thought it was the fuel rail loosing pressure, tested it and it stays at 45ish when the truck is off and jumps to 52ish when its running (tho the needle on the test gauge flickers just a tiny bit). I can prime the rail by cycling the key back and forth a few times to make sure the rail has plenty of juice but doesnt change a damn thing...

I know its running rich. its going thru gas like crazy. the times it does start after cranking on it, runs a little rough and i smell gas (not from a leak). I had a weird idle, it would bog right after starting, not much but just down to 350-400 just for a second and recovers quick. I replaced the crank sensor and it started right up for 1.5 day but right back to sometimes... crank crank crank. After it has this problem starting i can smell gas, and it has a noticeable miss, so im pretty sure that its just not getting fire for some reason when this happens. Ive been so busy working I havent got a chance to screw with it much in the daylight.

Ive been using Champion plugs, coppers, and change them about every 20k cause by then, feels like it needs it. Past experience with Fords makes me stick to whats OEM (tho if you guys have a better suggestion, im all ears)

One other thing, my 99 318 Dak idles at 700, this one has always idled at 500 unless the air is on, then i get about 750.

One more thing, I am either leaking or using oil. Weird thing is, it may not loose any for a week or week and a half, but then it can loose a quart in a week. and that makes me scratch my head. Havent had the idle bog at all since i changed the crank sensor...

No check engine light, had one a year ago for a vacuum leak, thats it. Long post so my bad, but guys id sure appreciate some feedback! Thanks a bunch

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

couple things come to mind.

1) weak coil, especially when cold

2) hung/sticking injector

3) misbehaving Idle Air Controller Solenoid (most likely)

4) misbehaving TPS.