2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7l cranks but no start.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 PM
David Landis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7l cranks but no start.

Hey, I'm new to this site but I need some help. I just picked up a 00 Dakota 4.7l 4x4 sport quad cab. It has about 185k on it. It just cranks but won't fire. Good fuel pressure, I used a metal punch inserted into coil boot then held point of punch close to a ground. No spark. Checked for 5 volts at camshaft ps. Good there. I removed the camshaft ps and used a small dental mirror to see if the pass side cam was rotating. It is turning so I know the chain is intact. Took a shoot in the dark and crossed my fingers when I replaced the cam sensor with a new one. Still nothing. Help would be appreciated my next route is to hit the local pull a part yard and get a crank and cam sensor

Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a NO BUS on the cluster? I would go for the crank sensor before the cam. However, I always do them as a pair.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 AM
David Landis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cluster doesn't display NO BUS . today I went to the pull a part junk yard and picked up a crank and cam positioning sensor. Swapped them both out and still no spark. It just cranks. A few times it seemed to fire intermittently but not enough to start. Im going to start my diag. OVER tomorrow after work. See if I missed something any more suggestions
would be great thanks

Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At 185K, just prepare yourself for some sort of mechanical failure. That is about the limit of a 4.7 in pretty much anything.

Search this Thread