2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hey guys need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Dusty152
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys need a little help

I let my friend barrow my 2000 Dodge Dakota last night. I got in it this morning to go to work started up just fine, pulled out of my drive way just fine but as I going down my hill I let of the gas to stop at the bottom it started to make a rubbing/ grinding noise. When I got off work drove straight home it was still doing it (I only live 3 miles from where I work all 25 mph zones) so I pulled it in to my shop and started checking everything out I thought it would be a differential but they seam fine checked my ball joints u-joints everything that I thought it would be couldn't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this problem it's a 4.7 v8 with the 5speed (clutch and transmission are both good)

Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Did the shop check the brakes? Maybe your friend drove with the emergency brakes on. I once had an issue with the parking brake shoes detaching from the lining, but I have discs in the rear and you probably don't.

You probably won't get much help online due to the nature of the problem. Put it up on jackstands and run it, get under it and look.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-02-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:11 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

I never do that your car/truck always comes back with misery.

Not worth it

Also never sell your car or truck to a friend or co worker if anything breaks guess who they will blame you always sell to people you will never see again.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 PM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Might" be a rock that got into the front brakes between a pad and the rotor. It's happened to me on a vehicle somewhere in my life. What did the "friend" borrow the truck for? Hauling his butt or hauling 2 tones of lead weights? There could also be an indication of where the noise is coming from. Many many years ago I borrowed a van from a friend and in the interim a rear wheel bearing started making noise. Nothing I did, but it was "time" for it to happen. I guess a U joint could also be the source. But as Dodgevity said, get underneath and listen. Since it makes noise a low speeds it shouldn't be too difficult to isolate.

Good luck!