2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

load air suction

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 PM
erice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default load air suction

I just put on the cowl induction hood and it know seams when in sucks in air its load I'm not sure if its the hood allowing more air so I can hear it more now, or if there is a problem.
The idle drops slowly when sucking in the air but after about 5 mins of driving you don’t hear it
I have had the truck only for 5 months and 2.5 in was getting worked on due to accident.

2003 dakota
3" body
285 firestone destination mud terrain tires
Reflexxion Hood
Grill
boss Stereo on the way
pyle bass tube on its way

[IMG]local://upfiles/24440/067DEE428E094E439A827528D2F0A9D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: load air suction

hey nice truck! welcome to DF!

with the cowl hood i'd think (no experince though) you would hear more engine noise since your creating a path from the engine compartment to the windshield allowing more noise out of the engine compartment. you should have had an insulator under the old hood, you might want to remove it and see if you can fit it on the new hood, that may help.

is the motor running any differene than before? what motor is it?

Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
erice

Thanks I bought the truck with nothing but aftermarket pedals and been dropping money into it. She is coming along. More mods on the way.

With the old hood it was thrown away and I would say with the liner.
It’s not so much the noise that bothers me it is that when it is load the idle stays up high for 2 or 3 seconds. But once warm its fine.

I can not tell how it drives from since I got it. I only had it for 5 months and the truck was in the shop for about 2.5 months and I was driving all different loaners.

it has the 3.9L V6 nothing done to the motor yet

Old 11-17-2005, 05:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

sounds like your IAC valve is sticking, pull the TB off and clean it and the IAC valve real good. while you have it off, look down the intake manifold at the bottom and see if you have an oil POOLING on the bottom, if it is, the your plenum gasket is leaking. a light film is ok.

also make sure that the air passages in the TB are clear and the area's where the valve seats is clear and you might want to spray a lube on the IAC shaft to help keep it from sticking more.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 PM
erice

I’m not a dumb a** but what is the TB I got IAC (idle air control valve)
I would assume the TB is located on the top of the motor connected to the hose leading to the air box?
I found the ICA for 40.00 under fuel ejection but I also found one under emission that they are calling the same thing is there more then one?
Should I just replace it?
If there is oil how much work is involved in replacing the plenum gasket? Should I do it or have a mechanic do it. I was a bodyman for about 10 years so I do understand stuff I also worked on motors just never a fuel injection vehicle called it quits many years ago.

thanks for all your help

Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM
usmcman18

Check the round gasket on the top of your TB. Its the one between the air cleaner and tb. My 5.9l in my ram made a loud sucking noise when I first started it up and it would idol really rough and almost die at times. Come to find out that gasket was gone. 2 dollars and a new gasket later the problem is fixed. Now to tackle the ticking noise...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM
usmcman18

Holy **** I just read the date of the last post...2005..

Quick Reply: load air suction