2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 4.7 Dakota stuck on full throttle after hard start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Dalton Pokorny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 4.7 Dakota stuck on full throttle after hard start

4/30/2017 7:20
A little background on this. about 2 weeks ago i replaced TPS. Everything was fine until last night when while driving home in the torrential rainfall my wipers stopped working. ok cool so i pulled off and checking fuses everything was fine. started it back up and the wipers were working properly but my truck was stuck in limp mode. wouldnt shift out of 2nd. was only a mile from the house so i just said screw it and limped it home. when i pulled it it had a surging idle. parked it turned it off. thought to myself bet it wont start again lol sure enough cranked it wouldnt fire. sat there for 5 min and tried it again, fired right up. drove down the block and back was still stuck in limp mode. parked it again went to bed. took it to get it read this morning. threw bad tps-high voltage, evap small leak, and evap code for gas cap. guy didnt give me codes just what they were, dont know? now i feel like it may be electrical because of the wipers then shortly after the high voltage reading? today however it has ran, but when i start it i have to crank it once then try again, kind of like when the check valve in the fuel pump goes out. but it runs fine until it started sprinkling. i parked it turned it off and back on and its like the throttle is stuck wide open. shut ti off and now im here looking for any advice bc i haven't read anything on any forums like this.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

did you replace the TPS as defined by the code?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Dalton Pokorny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not yet can a bad tps cause the starting problems??