2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

42RE Noises, Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tossing an update on my 42RE rebuild... It's still in the shop. I got it back for a couple days, noticed a light squeak-squeak... Then it completely gave out at a stop sign. I pushed it out of the road into a diner parking lot and checked the fluid, moved through the gears, nothing. Put the parking brake on, dropped it in drive, and crawled under to see if I could hear anything, after about two minutes, something broke loose and it dropped into drive. Slammed the hood shut and headed home, overdrive clunked and let go, so had to turn OD off, 1-3 was just fine, including TC lockup.

After taking it back to the shop and coming back after a couple days, turns out the transmission ATE the OD unit... Completely. It melted the spring down and ate a bunch of it, and ate through the planetary gears. My guess is a piece of debris from this failure blocked the valve body temporarily at that stop sign.

https://i.imgur.com/Iquzlbw.jpg Here's a picture of it.

Their supplier sent the wrong part twice (else I'd have had it back two weeks ago), but they got it back together today. Talked to the owner and he said anytime they touch the vehicle, the warranty resets (so when I get it back, I still have a full 1 year, unlimited miles), and says there seems to have been a problem with fluid flow and overheating. So when they get the trans back into the truck, he's taking it for a long drive with the computer hooked up to monitor the temps, if they stay fine, I get the truck back. If either the temps jump during his drive, or I get the truck back and it does the same thing: They're not rebuilding it again. They're going to trash the transmission and buy me a new one on THEIR dime, he guaranteed I will not be paying any more than the original quote, I'm fully paid up.

I generally have this sort of luck with vehicles, but I'm actually impressed with their dedication to do the job right. The owner said I paid for a working transmission, so no matter how many hours or transmissions it takes, I'm getting a dependable trans, even if they have to buy a new one.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

that is AWESOME on their part. you found a great shop.

and holy sheezballs, you sure know how to tear stuff up!

You ever tried shredding a stainless steel ball with your bare hands? I bet you could do it.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Skreelink
Welp, I guess it was destined to happen. Rather than just lurking around, I had to register to ask a few questions for input from the knowledgeable people here.

Equipment:
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x2
3.9L V6 Magnum
42RE 4-Speed Transmission
8.25 Rear Axel One-Wheel-Wonder

Recently bought the truck about a month ago, everything was fine outside of a few 'neglect' things. (I assume it was some young punk who owned it, when I bought it I spoke with his wife, owner was at work.) As been told by the crappy black spray-painted rims (over the clearcoat)... I like to think I saved this truck from an untimely demise.
But a tune-up later with some fresh wires, plugs, cap and button, oil change, it ran good. Occasional lope when at a stop sign (IAC common issue, haven't cleaned it yet), and Brake/ABS/No Speedo under 30 (rear diff sensor, fixed 2nd day).

Oil change was a pain... Apparently they took it last to a Valvoline oil change, which didn't have a proper filter, so they stuck one that fit the threads. Filter itself was half the size of a Fram PH16, and wrenched down hard enough to mush the gasket flat and scrape the filter into the seat... (took 4 hours and 3 guys to get the filter off with how tight it was.) Engine runs like a demon now.

However, it does still seem to have some issues, never any major problem codes. Only codes I get are Random Misfire, Misfire cylinder 1, 3, 5, and only when I run it 3000~4000 RPMs. Also has some harmonic vibration at 65~75MPH, goes away at 80MPH, putting in neutral still had the vrr-vrr-vrr vibration so I assume maybe the 7 year old tires on it, only standard balance, not high speed one done to them. About 40% of the time when starting it, the Brake/ABS light stays on, but doesn't seem to affect much (turning truck off for a couple minutes they go out), and only twice has the pedal became mushy and almost to the floor, no fluid loss, turning the truck off for a minute cured it. They did say the truck had been sitting for a bit. Burns tires in reverse, not in drive (well it did a few times after the tune-up, mostly does a powerful take-off instead)

All of the listed stuff I'm sure would work out as it got ran, tire changes, etc... However onto the more pressing matter that every Dodge owner loves. Transmission. When I bought it, had no problems, shifted fine, locked up fine, etc. Last Friday, I noticed it didn't go into TC lock, but shifting was fine. Checked fluids, level was fine, maybe a bit over, pinkish-clear, no burn smell.

Saturday, I put some new rear shoes and spring-kit in the left only (didn't get to the right). Had to basically hammer the drum back on, I assume the pads were too thick. No real problem, right? (parts place decided to close early so I couldn't get the drums turned like I wanted...) Drive it around a bit easy to get the pads a little worn, wheel heated, but it loosened fine and brakes are working great. The speedo was off a bit (factory tires are 215 75R15, has the optional XL 235 75R15s now, was throwing off speedo ~5mph over 50mph), so I had my brother reprogram the rear pinion to match and the speedo is now accurate.

(TL;DR start here to skip story)

Now here's where the problems began... On the way home, the truck seemed to not want to shift out of 2nd gear. Even nearing 4000RPM, it didn't want to upshift into 3rd, unless I let go of the gas, pushed it into neutral, then back into drive. It'd immediately drop into 3rd, then 4th without issue. Problem would only repeat if I came to a complete stop, even if it dropped to 2nd on a near-stop, it'd shift fine unless it was a complete stop. About 20 minutes later, hit the interstate, just trying to cruise it home at about 60-65. About 5 miles down the interstate... O/D Off light comes on, drops to 3rd... grand, can't turn O/D back on. Drop speed to 50MPH, get it home 15 miles away. Stopped at home, turned it off, back on, O/D light goes off and I get O/D back. Didn't drive the truck Sunday, and today decided to take a test drive. Starting out, it seemed fine, shifted from 1st to 4th with no problems, etc. After ~10 minutes when the transmission warmed up, it began the same issue, not wanting to shift from 2nd. Did the neutral-trick to make it upshift (I had just got off the on-ramp on the interstate going 1.5 miles up to another exit).... aaaand....

The main issue happened, suddenly there's a whining grinding noise from the transmission. Pulled over, stopped, turned it off. After turning it back on, it has no problem actually shifting into gear, no hesitation when I flip from Park to Reverse, Neutral, Drive. However it seemed like the torque converter was slipping horribly and not shifting (or I didn't want to push it too hard... one of the two). Limped it at 2-3k RPMs 25~30MPH 2 miles home.

The noise happens in Reverse, Drive, AND Neutral, it doesn't happen in Park. Here's a short video of the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bw3GnjzwzI

I let the truck sit for a couple hours to cool, then went out to put it on ramps. The transmission made no noise while attempting the first ascension of the ramps (one moved... something something wet pavement). Second attempt it began to make noise, though not bad. Again, no hesitation when going into gear, nor did it really seem to 'struggle' to go up the ramps, just noise.

So my question to you: Does this seem like just a bad torque converter? I'm lead to thinking that because of how it sounds in neutral, and the fact the first thing it lost was lock-up (even with O/D Off, it wouldn't lock in 3rd).

Note that I get no transmission codes, even in the video I provided, the Check Engine light is for the previously mentioned 1, 3, and 5 misfires (from pushing a few high RPMs getting it home, if anyone has a solution for that too, all ears). All local parts stores have torque converters for $100, rather it be that than having to rebuild for 15~X that amount.

Bonus: For people who like saucy pics, and a perfect dash in an old Dodge.
http://imgur.com/a/fpHii
trans rebuild is only 15X the price of the converter, if you HAVE it done by someone else (including install and it will also include a reman converter... ) and the hard parts are a mess... I wouldn't put a fresh trans in w/o a fresh reman converter cuz you wont ever get all the crap from the old trans flushed out, an you don't want the shrapnel floating around your new trans.
I cant remember the last time I replaced "just" a converter either though w/o a fresh trans too.
. I have rebuilt several of my own, rebuild + mild shift kit+ reman converter + that expensive ATF+4 fluid and all in for $350-ish....

the guy I got my 96 4X4 from bailed due to a $2800 rebuild estimate, did that one for right at $300 complete. rebuilt myself and installed myself.
being a 4X4 in and of itself will NOT make the trans shift harsh... unless it has a high stall or a wild shift kit or there is something wrong within. my 4X4 shifts just like all my 2wd's before it did. but yeah my 4WD is a bit of a slug, comparted to my 2wd one. MY 4wd has 3.91 gears, while my 2wds have all been 3.55s.

and NO, am external cooler will NOT make a trans shift harsh at all. will have no effect on how it shifts at all, only on trans longevity.

Do yourself a huge favor. FIX the MISFIRE before you even think of touching the trans!!! I get people all the time that think they have a trans problem that turns out to be a misfire causing their issues!!! I would have done a tune up on it the very 1st thing upon bringing it home for the 1st time. Cap, rotor wires and plugs, PCV valve and air filter. Automatically. Unless you know the past owner personally and can vouch for the fact that they have recently done a good tune up and NOT with bottom of the barrel cheapie crappy parts either.... the better grade stuff costs very little additional and is no more work on your part at all....

Last edited by volaredon; 07-22-2017 at 12:00 AM.