2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts
Default 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Specifications

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dakota-tech.html

Old 07-31-2022, 12:08 AM
Razor_Wire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparently my 1998 Dodge Dakota is the one bizarrely equipped one on this planet...

So I looked up my VIN number at the Dodge dealership, to see what all it has on it, because I'm planning multiple categories of restoration work on it starting soon. And sure enough, my post-VIN check parts search has revealed what looks increasingly like an anomalie as far as what my truck has, versus what all the options supposedly were. SO here's the story for tonight's controversy;

My vehicle is a 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4, with the following equipment-- first, the stuff that appears to be normal for this year/make/model according to my research thus far;

4-speed automatic 42RE transmission, with lock-up torque converter

3.9-Liter V6 Magnum

Shift-on-the-fly 231 transfer case with 175mm front axle

Chrysler 8.52 rear axle with anti-spin differential...

BUT, mentioning the differential is where things started to get frustratingly weird for me;

My VIN number also indicates that my truck's Chrysler 8.25 rear axle has a 3.92 ratio differential inside! And so far, the closest that I can find any historical reference to is I think a 3.77 or somewhere around there? I have found no reference to a 3.92 ratio being an available option for the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle of the 1998 Dodge Dakota, and I can't seem to find a ring and pinion in that ratio for the 8.25 for sale by itself.

Oh I found an number of full 8.25 rear axle assemblies with 3.92 diffs in them for sale online for above $1500 a pop by-golly, but I can't find any references to what I would need to replace along WITH a 3.92 ring and pinion JUST BY ITSELF inside an 8.25 Chrysler rear axle (like the size of lock-up thingie it's supposed to be housed in that I would need, and that would also fit the 8.25 axle for example).

So um, did some past owner of my vehicle basically frankenstein-f**k my vehicle's rear end at some point with a gear ratio that ain't supposed to be in there or what??

Because I have no intention of replacing it with say, a 4-10 ratio, and flushing down the toilet what gas mileage I already do manage to get out of this truck. I also don't want to go to an even lesser ratio than the 3.92 that's in the @$$ end of this truck, because I still want it to have whatever balance it has between gas mileage and at least marginal weight toting & mild off-roading manliness such at it is.

Who among ye hath the answer to this confounding riddle of strangety and unmatched weirdness?? Not even my contemplating this on the tree of woe has yielded me any answers thus far!

Thank you

Last edited by Razor_Wire; 07-31-2022 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Specifications