2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission questions

Hello all, usually post over in 1st gen since that's what I have, but need some 2nd gen help. So some time this year I plan on doing a 5 speed swap in my 96, a nv3500. And something occurred to me later night. 3.9, 5.2, 3.7,4.7 etc all have the same bell housing pattern right? So, wouldn't it probably be beneficial to get an nv3500 out of say an 04 3.7 vs one out of my body style?

Reason I would think that is newer vehicle could mean lower miles, and one out a v6 truck would have probably have seen less abuse from the smaller engine and less towing. Ya?

Another question I have, are the crossmembers the same between the auto and stick shifts? I read the sticky for the auto to stick swap on 1st gen and have everything figured out besides the crossmember. Or is there a plate the bolts between the transmission and crossmember? Would it be any different for a 1st gen vs 2nd gen?

Oh, my tcase would still bolt up either way right? It's a 231. Last question, where is the difference in length in the drive shaft? I've read there's a 7" difference, and I've also read there's only a 5/8" difference. Which one is it? If there's a 7" difference, does the transmission and tcase still bolt in the same place? I'm not worried about getting a new drive shaft made. Just need to know. (One way or the other I have to go to the drive shaft shop and have em do something because I swapped in a 9.25 disc brake rear end earlier this year.)

Thanks for anyone who can help.