2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cold starting issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 AM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold starting issue.

My 4.7 will start but then die and I have to give it a little gas for about 30 seconds before it will idle. I tried yesterday easing my foot off the gas to see how low the idle will go and it got down to about 350 rpm and the brake and abs lights came on then stalled. The lights went away the next time I turned it off. No issue like that since. One other occasion it would crank over for about 5 seconds then start. These all happen on a cold start. Any ideas?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Clean the TB. Chek/replace the IAC.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur

I did some research and then posted and that's what I was going to check out first, thanks. How does the pcv valve come off?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur

Thank-you that solved that issue! The cone shaped plunger had a lot of black soot which kept it from seating correctly. A tooth brush ( not mine someone else's haha) and some carb spray on the plunger and inside the bore that it seats in made a huge difference in starting. I should have done this as PM a long time ago! Thanks again