2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transfer case noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case noise?

i just finished swapping my 231 for a 242 and tested it out and with it in 4-pt or 4-lo when i tried to make it up just a tiny little hill all it does is make what sounds like a grinding noise. I'm hoping its just the chain stretched and i can just replace it. so far when its in 4-ft or 2wd it seems to work just fine so I'm not sure if its the chain or something else. i did swap both front and rear driveshafts so i don't think it has to do with those. the only thing i didn't really check to make sure if it was the same or not was the output shaft on the trans. both transfer cases slid back onto the trans pretty easily after getting them lined up right and i think both transmissions are the 44re so the output shaft should be the same right? i haven't got the the 231 all the way back together yet because of all the rain and I'm doing all this with minimal tools on an uneven muddy surface. did dodge change the number of splines on the 44re between 97 and 99 or could it be something inside the 242?