2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dodge Dakota Dying in Rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 PM
mekayla lytle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Dakota Dying in Rain

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota, V6 Quad Cab- 105,000 miles. I recently had my catalytic converter replaced and about 3 hours after being out of the shop, I drove through a puddle and it died. It's been about 4 months now, I haven't been able to fix it due to financial issues but now we have a baby on the way and it needs to be addressed. My Dakota starts to choke (feels like my tires are stopping in mid rotation for a quick second for multiple seconds- repeatedly) when it's raining, and the RPM starts to drop and it rapidly does a chugging motion when I'm around other vehicles going the same speed as me. As if the water flying all over the road is causing my truck to put out. Also if another car goes through a puddle and splashes my truck, it will die, same if I go through a puddle myself.. I try to dodge them as much as I can. I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows what could possibly be the problem? I feel like the mechanic who fixed my catalytic converter didn't put it back together right or left something out..I don't know. I'm learning as I go. Thank you in advance!!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Leave the truck running in the driveway and spray it with a garden hose. See what area has to get wet to shut it off, and start there.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 PM
mekayla lytle

And if I don't have access to a hose? My house doesn't have a lawn faucet nor does my friends. I might as well just take if in 😕

Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 PM
littlereddakota
Amateur

Originally Posted by mekayla lytle
And if I don't have access to a hose? My house doesn't have a lawn faucet nor does my friends. I might as well just take if in ��
There is stuff you can waterproof your plug wires with. (something like a dielectric grease) Just ask at the auto parts store.
Also, if your plug wires are already wet or suspected to be wet or damp, you can pull each one loose (one at a time) and spray its connections with WD40. The "WD" stands for "water displacement". This will get rid of the moisture and get you on your way.

Last edited by littlereddakota; 07-11-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by mekayla lytle
And if I don't have access to a hose? My house doesn't have a lawn faucet nor does my friends. I might as well just take if in 😕
Ever heard of a car wash?