2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No start issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:35 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start issues

Hello! I just picked up a '97 reg cab short box with a 3.9 mt. I got it cheap because the kid I got it from couldn't get it running. He said that he was driving it and hit a rough rail crossing, then it quit and never started again. I noticed that the downstream o2 sensor wiring is just hanging there, the connector broken and exposing the leads, the evap canister is gone (and looks like it has been for some time), the lines just flopping around open to the world. I can hear the fuel pump running, but there is no spark. There is no 5v to both the cam and crank sensor. The odometer is flashing, and none of the gauges work. I pulled codes from the dash, and got 920, 921, 950 and 999. THE gauges
all work when it does the gauge test. When I hook my scanner to it, it can't connect.

920- cluster not receiving a vehical message from PCM
921- cluster not recieving distance pulse message from PCM
950- cluster not recieving ABS lamp message from CAB
999- error detected

Those dont look encouraging. Could the o2 wiring have shorted out and damaged the computer?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

yep, I'm guessing it's a bad PCM. Being a 97, the EVAP stuff missing isn't a big deal.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured as much. Rock auto has them for a decent price, I'll give them a try.