2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:17 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission fluid?

Anyone using syhthetic transmission fluid in their Dakota? Thinking about switching to Amsoil at 30,000. If so what results have you had and how much does the tranny hold. 3.9L auto.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:55 AM
vipes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: transmission fluid?

Read all the forums and google the topic...

My findings and experience say don't use anything but Dodge specific fluids. Go ahead - pay a premium if need be. Don't try to save a few bucks or get "better" performance in this area.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

Changed it over Friday. The synthetic meets ATF+4 standard. Seems fine so far. Believe me any sign of trouble and it'll be outta there. It got a total flush. Even ran a couple extra quarts through to be sure all the old was out. Not doing it to be cheap. Doing it for added protection. Unlike alot of people I don't trade vehicles very often, I'll probably drive this one 10+ yrs. Want it to last and i drive kinda hard so I figure the more protection the better. I'll post if any problems.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 PM
vipes

Even if you are looking for extra life promised by the manufacturer of the new fluid, I would seek more input. Based on my own ongoing experience with bad trans rebuilds and what I found all over the 'Net looking for help, I recommend sticking with Dodge fluid and keeping to a good maintenance habit to ensure long life. In the future, the risk of advertised benefits will not outweigh the time tested basics. Try Googling "dodge trans synthetic" for a few stories...

And I am not entirely anti-synthetic either. I recommend using synthetic oil under the right circumstances.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Glk21C
Professional

150,000 miles on my 02 4.7L auto (45rfe or something like that) and have had AMSOIL UNIVERSAL ATF in it since 4,000. I replaced filters every 30,000 and consequently replaced 7-1/2 quarts w/new AMSOIL at the same time. My trans works as flawlessly today at it did when it was new.

Two facts:
1. Before every filter change I had a sample of the fluid analyzed. It came back as eveything was AOK. I did this to see whether or not I had to do a flush or not, never needed a flush. Actually, the last time I did it at 130,000, the condition of the trans inside ,based on fluid analysis, was basically brand new.
2. The fluid (AMSOIL) was in such good condition I could have reused it. Meaning if I could have devised a simple way of catching the fluid on a clean container as it drained out of the pan, I could have literally used it as the 7-1/2 quarts to re-fill trans. I guess I could have installed a drain valve in the pan, I just never bothered.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

Does anyone know the band adjustment procedure for the 42RE transmission?

Quick Reply: transmission fluid?