2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Upper control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeah... I think I'll go the route of just replacing the rubber and keeping the hardware. At least in my experience, OEM metal parts are always beefier and stronger than AM (except for the end links). So....energy suspension sounds good. How long are they lasting you guys?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-12-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Burning them out with a torch works, but, it sure smells bad.........
ofcourse it smell bad. but must be done in open area. but its so simple and fast to do this way !

Old 02-12-2018, 11:13 AM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yeah... I think I'll go the route of just replacing the rubber and keeping the hardware. At least in my experience, OEM metal parts are always beefier and stronger than AM (except for the end links). So....energy suspension sounds good. How long are they lasting you guys?
energy suspension should last the truck life. maybe even 2 trucks. they are extremly high quality.
and no OEM metal isnt always beefier and stronger than aftermarket.
in fact it depend on the brand.
in fact , 80% of mopar and other oem parts are made from an aftermarket compagny that we all buy from. they print MOPAR on it and sell the same part 4x the price. sometime they are better quality sometime not ( still from the same aftermarket compagny ).
moog is always better than oem. even for bmw , volvo , whatever.

for the energy suspension bushing there's only one thing you must know.
they may squeak alot. that just mean they ware not properly installed using the grease.
on my 03 lancer ES , they're there since 6 years and i'd never go back.
i sold it to my brother as a winter beater when i found the dak and he love those bushing so much he installed some on HIS 03 lancer OZ
they're a bit stronger so you feel the road better.
improve control alot tho.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Good info. Sounds like the way to go then. If these things are lubed up properly, will they squeak down the line? Any way to lube them once installed? I would image being in the OEM arm, that would make that a no?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:19 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie

you lub when installing with the provided lub. you can't lub them after but trust me you don't have to.
if lubed properly , they will never squeak.
even in oem arm. they are made for this application and can be used in aftermarket or custom made arm.
energy suspension have the bushings you need for sure. in a model specific kit or universal. i went universal on all my cars as it cost less because there was things i didnt need in model specific kit.
they are super easy to install because they are made in 3 parts. both side and the metal sleeve like in this picture
if they don't have the exact lenght you need , just get longer then cut bushing and sleeve. they're made for this. so like i said , they have what you need for sure.
energy suspension universal bushing

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-30-2021)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I'll probably go with the black ones.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/5.3122

According to their site, the black may contain graphite as a lube, which the red never does.
http://energysuspension.com/energy-t...questions.html

Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie

good solution.
but personally i wouldnt buy on energysuspensionparts. its not the compagny it's an official online seller.
for my 03 lancer ES i orderer rear trailing arms bushing. after 2 month i still got nothing so i contacted them.. guess what ? they never shipped anything. they waited 2 month to tell me they don't know why it hasent been shipped and then they refunded.
so i went universal all the way from local store with my measure.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

energysuspension bushings squeak and drive you crazy

A machine shop installed my bushings oem style and they had a hell of a time installing them they are hard to install. Rock auto has complete arms $60 and up 2wd and 4x4 way easier.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:46 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
energysuspension bushings squeak and drive you crazy

A machine shop installed my bushings oem style and they had a hell of a time installing them they are hard to install. Rock auto has complete arms $60 and up 2wd and 4x4 way easier.
the shop have no idea what they are doing then. they made them squeak and wasnt good enought to install them easily as it should ? wow.
look on youtube there is over 200 video for energy suspension bushing squeak. they all agree the solution is to get a brain and lub them as it should. they all say they didnt lub them too.
im so happy to never go to garage/shop and do everything myself.

for the arm he want OEM so over $200 each.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Calm down read my post I said OEM bushings were installed they are pressed in only a shop can do this.

wow relax chill

Quick Reply: Upper control arm bushings