2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fender rust repair?

Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM
zeus661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fender rust repair?

Both my fenders are rusting in the area right above the bumpers on the sides. That area about 4 inches wide in front of the wheel well. This truck is a beater and has 200k on it. I don’t want to replace fenders or get into anything to complicated. I am just looking for some like fiberglass patching or easier to use that will stick. I don’t want to have to sand down to bare metal or remove fenders to get to it. What products are available? What is the process?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus661
Both my fenders are rusting in the area right above the bumpers on the sides. That area about 4 inches wide in front of the wheel well. This truck is a beater and has 200k on it. I don’t want to replace fenders or get into anything to complicated. I am just looking for some like fiberglass patching or easier to use that will stick. I don’t want to have to sand down to bare metal or remove fenders to get to it. What products are available? What is the process?
Whenever you repair your fender don't forget to look under the wheel well also. Usually rust there will come through again if this is not addressed. The outside fix will only be as good as the metal behind the area. I've learned this the hard way with other vehicles. Thought I'd mention that...

Old 03-05-2018, 10:07 PM
steve star

Sounds like a BONDO job.. The right way.. cut out as much rusted area as you can.. use the fiberglass mesh as a backing.. bondo the mesh.. sand down.. paint with the closest match raddle can paint that you can find.. MY WAY.. Buy six pack of beer.. Drink beer.. use empty cans as backer instead of fiberglass.. You use sheet metal screws to on hold the aluminum cut up cans to your fender.. The Bondoed fiberglass flexes and breaks away.. The "beer can" Bondo holds up surprisely well.. I did a 76 280z tail light with the beer cans.. It lasted for years...

Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Duck take and a rattle can!

Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM
03DakotaV8

If you don't have a welder you could use galvanized sheet metal and quiksteel to patch in a new section. Then prime/paint and spray with fluid film.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender rust repair?