2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0351- stumped

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Crazeyy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0351- stumped

97 Dakota 3.9l

I've been having problems with this truck for a while now. I can never seem to replicate the problem either. It keeps cutting out. Usually it's when I'm driving slow, coasting along, coming to a stop or just idling at a light. It would normally start right back up but now it varies as to how many times I have to crank it before it will start up again.
I took it to Firestone for a diagnostic a few days ago. They initially called me and said that they were stumped and had no idea what was going on and that they couldn't replicate it either. I told them about how ***sometimes**** (but not all the time) when the truck cuts out the oil pressure gauge would be really low and they told me well maybe it's the oil pressure switch. (*I've gotten the part but yet to put it in*) They also told me they got no codes from the computer. However my husband got me a tmobile sync up drive thing and within 10 minutes of being hooked to my truck it came back with P0351 which is a code I addressed months ago and replaced the ignition coil.
I had another mechanic tell me (after replacing the ignition coil did not solve the problem) that it was my fuel pump. I replaced that a couple weeks ago and am still obviously having the problem. I've also replaced the distributor rotor recently. Also, there has been no check engine light come on at all.

If anyone has any ideas what the underlying issue could be I would appreciate it. I love this truck but I am at my wits end.

Last edited by Crazeyy; 03-31-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:52 PM
bluethrush

alternator ?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazeyy
97 Dakota 3.9l

I've been having problems with this truck for a while now. I can never seem to replicate the problem either. It keeps cutting out. Usually it's when I'm driving slow, coasting along, coming to a stop or just idling at a light. It would normally start right back up but now it varies as to how many times I have to crank it before it will start up again.
I took it to Firestone for a diagnostic a few days ago. They initially called me and said that they were stumped and had no idea what was going on and that they couldn't replicate it either. I told them about how ***sometimes**** (but not all the time) when the truck cuts out the oil pressure gauge would be really low and they told me well maybe it's the oil pressure switch. (*I've gotten the part but yet to put it in*) They also told me they got no codes from the computer. However my husband got me a tmobile sync up drive thing and within 10 minutes of being hooked to my truck it came back with P0351 which is a code I addressed months ago and replaced the ignition coil.
I had another mechanic tell me (after replacing the ignition coil did not solve the problem) that it was my fuel pump. I replaced that a couple weeks ago and am still obviously having the problem. I've also replaced the distributor rotor recently. Also, there has been no check engine light come on at all.

If anyone has any ideas what the underlying issue could be I would appreciate it. I love this truck but I am at my wits end.
Cam position sensor and or crank position sensor. This would be my guess only because I had the same issue on a 98 3.9L. I didn't get any codes however, I read the actual timing degree while driving...I have the software for doing that and it did show the timing jumping around at the time the engine would cut out. I did get an ignition coil code like you, replaced but that didn't do anything either. It's definitely a sensor and the two are directly responsible for timing issues which will shut it down. Hope it helps, worth checking...Don't depend on the computer to tell you there is a problem with these sensors.

Last edited by Robertwav1; 04-06-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: More information....
Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Davedude18

Had same problem today. I got a new alternator and crankshaft position sensor. Start with the CSP sensor and see if that helps and a good mechanic can determine if alternator is good

Quick Reply: P0351- stumped