2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing Intermediate Steering Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 PM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Intermediate Steering Shaft

So as the title says i'm replacing my Intermediate Steering Shaft. found it to be causing the inch or so of play in the steering wheel. I've went to the yard found a 99 2WD 3.9L w/ super tight steering, no play in the wheel. I pulled the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Now this took a considerable amount of banging in an upward motion to remove the lower portion. I'd like to know before I just get to banging tf out of my daily driver to get the old one off does anyone know if there's a tool for removal/installation? I just do not foresee this just slipping right down onto the the post it came off of... grease or no grease.

Can anyone share any tips?

Old 07-07-2018, 02:08 AM
972ndGenSLT
Amateur

BUMP

Come on, someone has to have some info on an easy way to get the Intermediate Steering Shaft off the steering-box spline or if a removal tool is available. Someone please chime in!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I've removed mine before. No tool, but I started spraying it with PB Blaster a week before, letting it soak in. Make sure you secure the steering wheel so you don't break the clock spring.

The Dorman replacement shaft, was so flimsy compared to the OEM, that I returned it and kept the OEM. When I put it back on, the popping that I was experiencing stopped.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 07-07-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:23 AM
J A Miller

Go to rockauto and get a brand new whole shaft and have the job done in 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: Replacing Intermediate Steering Shaft