2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 pinion seal replacement

Old 08-17-2018, 03:48 PM
grover2044
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 pinion seal replacement

Hey all,

Just did this repair, when as about I expected for the posts I read and videos I watched. I marked everything, counted turns on the pinion nut and like I said things when back together fine. Removing the old seal was the worse part of the whole repair IMO. Couple things I noted as different than researched:
My drive shaft was held on with 15mm 6 point bolts, not 12mm 12 point bolts.
Pinion nut was a 1 1/4 6 point. I read everything from 1 to 1 3/4 some mm sizes as well. 1 1/4 was exact fit for me.
I didnt remove the diff cover and drain it, it was low in fluid so a little did run out when the old seal came out.
I topped up with new fluid and have since rechecked the torque on the driveshaft bolts, all good.

Hope if you do this repair it goes good for ya too.

grover

Old 08-31-2018, 03:30 AM
Jovi Ulep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 9.25 rear diff. pinion seal, that I want to install.

My rear diff. is leaking (06DodgeRam1500 4.7L) I figured, maybe the pinion seal is worn out. I just bought all the parts to do the job, but i hit a snag. I cant find any information of what size of socket i need, in order to remove the “pinion nut”. Did you put a 9.25 pinion seal in your rear diff? If so, what size socket did you used to remove the “pinion nut”? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 pinion seal replacement