2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 Dakota with lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:38 PM
northdakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dakota with lift kit

I recently bought a 2001 Dakota quad cab sport with the 4.7 and a 3 inch lift kit on the suspension. No body lift. It had hit the drivers front corner and took out the bumper and broke the steering knuckle/spindle. I picked up all the parts needed only to find that the knuckle/spindle I bought is too short. There's no way I can attach the upper ball joint to the upper control arm, it's about 3-4" away. Then i looked at the broken knuckle and saw that the upper ball joint mount is about 3" taller then the used one I bought off a truck with no lift kit. Did dodge make 2 different knuckles? I ask this because my daily driver 03 Dakota sits higher then most others I see in town and it's never been lifted. If they didn't would the lift kit have come with a new knuckle/spindle? Most of the components on the lift kit are red and the shocks are Rancho brand but I can see no name on the lift kit parts. Any idea what lift kit brand may be as I've researched a lot and can't find any lift kit for an 01 Dakota that has all the parts my truck has. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes, it probably has a lift spindle with the upper ball joint relocated.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 PM
northdakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I finally was able to track down the fact that the kit is a Rancho RS6560 or 6561 so I've contacted Rancho to see if they can get me just the knuckle. If it's too expensive I'll pull the whole lift off. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dakota with lift kit