2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 3.7 V6 Timing cover gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 PM
04DakQCV6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 3.7 V6 Timing cover gasket leak?

So.. I've been monitoring a mystery coolant leak the last few weeks and already replaced the $50 upper radiator hose as it did appear to be suspect. After doing that, the residue I'm seeing on my passenger side valve cover has slowed down but still shows back up after I wipe it down and drive it. Is it common for these engines to produce a timing cover leak or is it likely the water pump? I can only find coolant residue on the engine valve cover and its bone dry everywhere else.. I'm stumped.. Also the housing the upper hose goes to is also white on the back side, is that part of the water pump? Possible it's hairline cracked?

Last edited by 04DakQCV6; 10-29-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

A water pump leak occurs at the water pump, which is behind the fan clutch. It wouldn't reach all the way up there. You might have a drip somewhere from one of the heater hoses. Are you actually seeing coolant loss when you open the radiator cap?

Nice clean engine, btw.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:38 AM
04DakQCV6

It looks like the fluid travel is toward the firewall before it drys so that makes me want to believe it's coming from the timing cover somewhere, I can see dryed coolant on the back side of the radiator hose inlet that goes into the water pump.. I'm gonna pressure test it tomorrow when I get a minute and see if I can find anything obvious. I just REALLY hope it's not the timing cover itself (Imagine the price of that plate isnt cheap)

I am seeing coolant loss but its minimal, just add a little here and there since I noticed it. It's not major at this point but trying to fix it before it's an a real problem

Thanks for the clean engine bay comment! I use a product called "Super Clean" in a purple can, its inexpensive and does a great job.. Leaves a nice sheen behind after it drys just spray on, agitate, rinse, blow dry water and you're done, it's a degreaser.

Last edited by 04DakQCV6; 11-02-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say pressure test it. If it's the timing cover, maybe it just needs to be resealed. The hard part will be the labor of doing it, I would imagine. I've never had to pull mine. Anyway, just pressure test it before you go worrying. It might be an easy fix. Put it on ramps, pump it up, get under it and wait for the drips. If you're wondering what PSI to pump the pressure tester to, it's the max PSI stamped on your radiator cap. I'll try that Super Clean stuff on my next engine wash.

BTW, here is a quick water pump check: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-removal.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 11-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 PM
04DakQCV6

Thanks Dodgevity for the feedback! I pressure tested it at 20lbs and there is a seep on the drivers side of the timing cover. I looked on YouTube to see what this job looks like to do Sooo guess I know what I'm doing all day on Saturday.. Anyway, good news is, it's just a gasket

Quick Reply: 04 3.7 V6 Timing cover gasket leak?