2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Factory alarm or just keyless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Factory alarm or just keyless?

Hey all, I just picked up a 99 Dak extra cab SLT 4x4 with the 5.2l as a new project truck. On the build sheet it lists keyless entry, but it didn't come with any key fobs and the key they gave me is a black handled key.
I know that the ones with anti-theft systems had gray keys, but I don't know when they introduced them or what they are listed as on the build sheet.

Do I need just key FOBs and a locksmith to program them or will I need to fork out $100 for the stealership grey keys + programming?

( Off Topic) The truck is a salvage title truck that was hit just behind the cab on the bed. Snapped the axle clean off but didn't impact the frame at all. Only 94000 miles and brand new tires all around. It was sitting at the Copart yard for quite a while and the battery is toast so I can't just go open a door and see if an alarm goes off.Will post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:35 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

99 and older are all black key. Gray key was 00+ with the ignition shutdown chip. Should be able to get a couple fobs and program them in.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet! Thanks Magnet

Quick Reply: Factory alarm or just keyless?