2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 AM
acesofwar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Not Starting

My 1998 Dodge Dakota with the 2.5L is not starting. I turn the key and there is a single click but nothing more. The click happens every time the key is turned to the start position and sounds like it is coming from the solenoid. I replaced the starter and solenoid and nothing changed. The battery is good. I haven't ran a continuity test on them but the wires going to the starter appear fine. I've cleaned all connections. However, I tired to hard start it by bypassing the solenoid with a screwdriver but there was no spark or arc. I've also tried push starting it and it wouldn't start. It "putt"ed a couple times but when I pressed the clutch it died. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but thought I would include it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

1) verify 12 volts at the 4 gauge supply wire
2) follow the black 16 gauge wire off the solenoid, there is a gray connector on it about 3 feet from the starter before the wire disappears into the harness/PDC. Make sure it hasn't come unplugged
3) Unplug this connector, and verify 12 volts when somebody turns the key to start
4) Pull the starter relay in the PDC, make sure there are no burned pins

Old 12-07-2018, 02:29 PM
acesofwar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fixed

Thank you, magnethead. Turns out it was the starter relay. I wasn't sure what a burnt relay would look like so I just swapped it out with the fog lamp relay because I don't have any fog lights anyways and she started right up. There were no problems getting down to the part store to pick another one up either.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

glad it was something simple!

The following users liked this post:
acesofwar (08-19-2019)

Quick Reply: Not Starting