2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0455

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Slipparee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455

2000 Dodge Dakota 2wd V6 Automatic 111k miles

I have a P0455 with engine light solid on always. I have checked hoses and did not see any obvious issues.
I did some reading, and checked around the fuel tank at the filler hoses. I found nothing obvious, rusting, or leaking.

I did notice the purge valve is just sort of laying next to the battery it is not held in any kind of clip. I don't imagine this is correct, but it does not look like it is causing harm unless it is supposed to be positioned a certain way.
The vacuum lines looked ok as far as they were on tight and not broken. None of the lines look to be frail or fragile where they would be cracking they all look ok.

I have not had the truck long so I don't know much about it. It was and still is missing at idle when I bought it a couple weeks ago; it has a low idle, but not low enough to die or even come close to that.

I was going to change plugs, wires, dist. cap, and rotor but first could this problem be causing the truck to miss?

Old 12-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

If you're just eyeballing the hoses, you should actually squeeze them at the ends wherever they connect. Sometimes the cracks are invisible until you do. Not sure about your engine, but some of the emission hoses were accessible only by removing the battery, when I was checking mine. I mitigated the problem but every 6 months or so, the light would come on and off. Eventually, I replaced the leak detection pump, which I pulled from an 09' PT Cruiser. Haven't seen the light in years.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Check the gas cap - if the O-ring is chapped/cracked, that will throw the light. Replacing the cap was the easiest emissions compliance repair I ever had to do...

Until the code came back. Then i found a cracked hose at the charcoal can.

Code didn't go away.

When i put the battery in the bed and removed the battery tray, it all became clear. I replaced every hose in the emission system. I also relocated some components to "make room".

Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Slipparee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to report back on this. Check engine light off been off for 100 miles or so driving in City and hey.

I tried to clear the code several times by unhooking battery. It always came back on before I was done driving it.

The only thing that has changed was new spark plugs. I also found the hose going from radiator cap to recovery bottle had a nice hole in it from the power steering pulley rubbing on it. I put a new hose and rerouted it. I had to take the horn out to do this. I filled the coolant bottle, and have been driving it no engine light.