2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starting trouble 2002 4.7 V8

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 PM
DodgeDakota332
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting trouble 2002 4.7 V8

My 2002 Dodge Dakota V8, 4.7 has been having some trouble starting on a completely random bases. It never happens consistently and two different things seem to happen when it does. The first thing that happened a couple of months ago was i went to start it like normal (i usually turn the key and let it prime before i start it) and it cranked then turned over but didnt get up to idle and died, then on the second attempt it started right up. This has happened at random times over the past month either when hot but usually when its cold out. The other thing that happens randomly is it will crank for about 10-15 seconds before starting. It doesnt happen multiple days in a row and happens both after sitting and after being hot, but like i said it always happens at random and not consistently like every day. I just recently replaced spark plugs and battery because it was time for that but i dont think that those were the issue... any ideas on how to diagnose and narrow down what it is?? Anything is helpful! Thanks!

Old 02-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean up the throttle body and Idle Air Control valve and see what that does. It's an easy start. You can also borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a parts store and see if you fuel pressure is good all the time.
i would plug in a scanner to see if there's any codes and/or look at live data to see if you can find anything strange like a an inaccurate intake air temperature, throttle position, vacuum/map readings, ect; those can also be borrowed from parts stores usually.

​​​​​the fact that's it's so inconsistent would lead me to think it's some kind of a sensor vs a mechanical problem like a bad fuel pump or spark plugs. Not to say it CANT be a mechanical thing but it's less likely.

Last edited by Zingo; 02-27-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 PM
DodgeDakota332
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will start there! Thanks for the input and useful information because Im at a complete loss. I will keep this thread posted as i try and figure things out in case anyone else ends up having similar problems!

Quick Reply: Starting trouble 2002 4.7 V8