2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Uneven brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Uneven brake wear

So my TRW Ceramic front pads lasted almost 3 years to the day and 35K. It helps to have good records to know these things. I just replaced them with Bosch Quietcast ceramics and flushed out the old fluid using a clear hose submerged in a water bottle (no one around to pump brakes for me).

I would have gotten more mileage out them, had the inside pad on the passenger side caliper not worn down quicker than the rest. It wore very unevenly at that. All the other pads looked like the one on the right. The fact that I swapped to slotted rotors, probably didn't help pad longevity either. The slide pins were still well lubricated when I pulled it apart but the lower pin on the passenger caliper was missing a rubber sleeve bushing. I was aware of it at the time 3 yrs ago, but I didn't have one on hand, so I slapped a bunch of lube in it and hoped for the best (yes, I lubed the spring clip contact points too). Wouldn't you know that's exactly where the most wear (red arrow) occurred?

The missing rubber sleeve is the small one pictured in the center below and they are on the lower pins on each front caliper. The upper pin does not have sleeves. I think they're more for noise suppression than anything. Anyway, I'm not sure if this was the cause of the wear by caliper not fully releasing, but I've ordered a set of off Amazon for about five bucks (Wagner brand). Hopefully this new set will last a bit longer.

Work done in the past year: Replaced brake fluid & front pads, replaced coolant temp sensor, full synthetic oil change, single
ATF drain and fill, power steering fluid flush and water pump replaced.

Coming soon... serpentine belt change and new tires. I hit 300K in a week or two so the Dak is worth nothing on the market, but worth everything to me as my daily driver and running much better than the day I got it.

How often are you guys replacing front pads? I'm in daily Atlanta stop n go.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it means anything about my braking habits... I've replaced brakes on all my vehicles exactly once. Usually within the first few months after I buy them. I've never dealt with uneven front to back wear, looks odd... Sometimes inside/outside pad uneven but still. I've had my truck 3 years, 30k still the first cheap bimetal pads on the front, have 3/8”+ left. I'm a soft braker and use engine braking when I can. My Toyota Camry, current brakes have 100k+ and 6 years on them, still about 3/8"+ as well... But it happens to be a manual.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Skreelink
If it means anything about my braking habits... I've replaced brakes on all my vehicles exactly once. Usually within the first few months after I buy them. I've never dealt with uneven front to back wear, looks odd... Sometimes inside/outside pad uneven but still. I've had my truck 3 years, 30k still the first cheap bimetal pads on the front, have 3/8”+ left. I'm a soft braker and use engine braking when I can. My Toyota Camry, current brakes have 100k+ and 6 years on them, still about 3/8"+ as well... But it happens to be a manual.
Yeah, working in Midtown ATL, I use the brakes a lot. Used to live in NYC, but the brakes lasted a lot longer there as I wasn't driving as much. I shoulda got a few more years out of them but that one pad was toast. The warning tab started squealing a few weeks ago, but it broke off due to the slots in the rotor. I was gonna break it off anyway, till the new pads arrived. I stick with ceramics because I hated how quickly the wheels got black. Is your truck a manual?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yeah, working in Midtown ATL, I use the brakes a lot. Used to live in NYC, but the brakes lasted a lot longer there as I wasn't driving as much. I shoulda got a few more years out of them but that one pad was toast. The warning tab started squealing a few weeks ago, but it broke off due to the slots in the rotor. I was gonna break it off anyway, till the new pads arrived. I stick with ceramics because I hated how quickly the wheels got black. Is your truck a manual?
Oh how I wish my truck was a manual... 3.9l with 42re auto. I tend to tap the o/d off button if I'm coming off the interstate and the engine braking is good enough to get the truck down without applying brakes, unless I have to fully stop. City driving I tend to do the same, if I can't get over 35-40, I'll leave o/d off and coast a little, keeps me from having to hard brake at all. People that run up on you and hard brake always freak me out.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Skreelink
Oh how I wish my truck was a manual... 3.9l with 42re auto.
You and me both. Although I must admit, this 545RFE has been solid and with the traffic I'm in, it would probably be a bad idea. I don't use the overdrive button much, unless I'm towing. This 4.7L is thirsty enough.

Quick Reply: Uneven brake wear