Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Rear spider gears. Where to find 29 spline posi gears

2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear spider gears. Where to find 29 spline posi gears

Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Jon Johnston
Amateur
Default Rear spider gears. Where to find 29 spline posi gears

I have a 97. With 29 spline. I went to summet to order the replacement gears.
there web sight said that there gears will fit a 97 dakota. So i ordered them. Thinking I had the right gears. But when I went to put them in they would not fit. They where 27 spline not 29 that i needed. So there web sight was wrong. All that After waiting for over 4 months for a local parts store that ordered them. They ended up getting the wrong ones. Frustrated at this point.
I thought my problem was fixed when I ordered them threw summet.
I still have yet to find the 29 spline gear set.
I ended up buying the 27 spline set. Just so I can use the smaller gears out of the set. And reuse my bigger gears.
when I took my differential apart. After my driveline fell out. I ordered all new pinion berrings. Put it all together. Driveline fell out again. Locking the truck up in the middle of a intersection. Couldn't push it. Had to put it back together hand tighten the pionion nut just to get it out of the road.
come to find out the parts store gave me the wrong berring. It tore up my smaller spider gears. Why I had to replace them.

So if anyone know where to get 29 spline posi locker gears with the clutch washers.
Plz reply.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Well i dont know about helping you track the stuff down but if you send me a pm with the last 8 digits of your vin i can atleast get you chrysler part numbers to cross reference. Up to you.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:29 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Also, if you tear it down to repalce bearings and gears, special tools are required to set rotating torque and backlash. If this is not done, trust me, whether it lasts a week or a year, you will be tearing it down again.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

I think I still have my 29 spline open carrier spiders. Let me go look in the garage.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

Yes mine are 29 spline takeouts from my 01. These are for an open, will not work with the factory limited slip. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by posi?

I'll send you a PM.

Last edited by magnethead; 03-20-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:00 AM
magnethead
Grand Champion

Another thing, you didn't say if yours is 8.25 or 9.25 housing. Mine are 8.25".

27 spline is 1996 and earlier, 29 spline is 1997 and later.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:14 AM
Jon Johnston
Amateur
Default Spider gears

Its the 8.25 rear end. I think its a aftermarket set up. Because it has the clutch washers. On both sides. Big gears have 29 spline. 13 tooth.
smaller gears have 9 tooth.
I took apart every rear end at the local Pick-n-Pull. On the dakota and darango. About 13 all together. None of them had the right set up like my truck has.
Ordering them did not work. They kept sending 27 spine and not 29 spline.
I ended up getting a 27 spline. So i can use the smaller gears and washers out of the kit.
use my big gears that are 29 spline that I already have. As they are not tore up like my smaller gears are.
need to check my front differential too. To make sure its the same set up and same gearing. Seems like my drive line falls out only after i put it in 4 wheel drive. The pinion nut loosens up. Last time I put it back together I used thred lock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear spider gears. Where to find 29 spline posi gears

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: