2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dodge Dakota stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Dakotamack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dodge Dakota stalling

I've had this problem with my 02 Dodge Dakota for 2 years, 3.9 liter engine. Several mechanics have looked at it, but it would never act up for them, it's a very intermittent problem. Today I decided to have my mechanic change out the cam positioning sensor. Not sure if that will fix it but I'm going to give that a try. I have read that they cause a multitude of problems. Now if I can drive for three weeks with no stalling, I will know that was the problem, and got it fixed. I won't be satisfied that, that is the fix for 3 weeks.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Has the TPS ever been replaced? Have you ever cleaned the IAC valve? Throttle body clean?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Dakotamack
Default 02 Dakota

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Has the TPS ever been replaced? Have you ever cleaned the IAC valve? Throttle body clean?
To my knowledge the TPS has never been replaced , I did clean the throttle body. That didn't help. And I don't know what the IAC valve is. I had my mechanic change out the cam positioning sensor, because there was so much talk on the net about that causing the problems I was having.. So I took a chance and had it replaced.
If it continues to act up on me, I will have a mechanic check out those two other items that you mentioned. Thank you

Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

IAC = Idle air control valve. The biggest single change in driveability that I've experienced with my truck, was when I changed the TPS. It was stalling and very touchy to accelerate. Replacing the TPS calmed the beast and made it drive much smoother.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be the fuel pump also.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

I had a random shutdown problem on my 3.9. Turned out to be the pcm. Try starting the truck and gently wiggle the pcm connectors slowly. If I pressed down on the center white connection (I have a 98), the truck would stall. I made a bracket that ensured all three connectors are pressed firmly and flat into the pcm. Otherwise, I'd look at the crank sensor, on the passenger side back of the block in the transmission bell housing. My truck would also stall when it had a 3rd party crank sensor. IAC stalling can sort of be checked if you quickly press the gas, it'll get air and continue running, if it dies despite the throttle being open, not the iac.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Dakotamack
Default 02 Dakota

I think I may have found the intermittent stalling problem my 02 Dodge Dakota. 3.9 L.
I will drive it for another week to 10 days to confirm the problem is fixed. It was so intermittent
I pulled the plug on the IAC sensor plug. Clean both sides of the connection, and put it back together. So far I have not had the problem repeat itself.
Can I really be that lucky?

Quick Reply: 02 Dodge Dakota stalling