2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 QC4X4 4.7 Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:13 PM
Sneakers03
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 QC4X4 4.7 Rear Shocks

Hey everyone well went to change the shocks on my Dakota today, I picked up a pair of Monroe Shocks part number 37140 OESpectrum. Fully extended they are an inch shorter than the OEM ones I took off, also when I went to bolt in the top there was some play in it when I put the bolt thru. Sure enough the end of the shock, the eyelet was about an 1/8 of an inch narrower than the shock I took off. I put the old shock back in the bracket thingy and it is a snug fit. Put the new shock in and it is sloppy. I returned the shocks and went shopping again, bringing along the old shock and I could find any to buy today. Might go to Chrysler dealership tomorrow with the old shock and see if they sell one the same size. Anybody else run into this and if so what shocks did you end up buying? Thx Ken

Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM
NullPointer
Amateur

I use Bilsteins on pretty much anything I replace shocks/struts on and they never disappoint. Swapped OE stuff out years ago when it died, they were a direct fit, no slop. Not cheap, but figure since I do my own labor, I don't mind spending a bit more on part upgrades.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:53 AM
Sneakers03

Tried a second pair of shocks today, extended length was 26 1/2, which is an inch longer than my OEM shock I took off, as well the end was wider so it was a perfect snug fit in the bracket, however the bolt hole was bigger than the stock shock which is 12 mm. I ended up taking them back as well tonight. I think I will have to live with maybe slipping a washer in when mounting them to take up the slack, that would be better than having too big of a bolt hole I’m thinking. Anyways the search continues, I’m not sure why I can’t find a shock that matches the one I bring in...

Old 10-22-2019, 09:20 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

laugh all you want, but the rear shocks on mine are actually take-off's from a 2010-ish F250 4x4. They bolted right in, but had stiffer valving that worked well with hauling 55 gallon fuel drums in my truck.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Sneakers03

Ok here is the update ��. I ended up putting the first set of shocks on, turns out they fit perfect as they should. Next weekend is rear brakes. Also today I went to the auto wrecker and picked up a sway bar link bolt for a dollar... CHRYSLER wanted ten dollars for the bolt and ten dollars for the nut!

Quick Reply: 2003 QC4X4 4.7 Rear Shocks