2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:43 PM
MrSteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Mirrors

03 Dakota. I’m pulling a 7’ x 12’ cargo trailer. I have the sport mirrors (5x7?) and can see the traffic on either side of me just fine. If I replace these mirrors with the 6x9s that were an option on some Dakotas, will they give the extra view needed to pull this trailer safely? Or maybe someone has another option? I can find add-ons for every style of Dakota mirror except the one I have... the sport mirror. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:06 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

If you have the fixed 'sport' mirrors, then yes the folding 'dumbo' mirrors will gain you some.

I have the dumbo's and a friend has the sports. I can't stand even being a passenger in his. Line of sight is nil.

A little 1.5" or 2" curved spot mirror can also be a worthwhile addition to the passenger side, if not both.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 07:19 AM
MrSteve
Default Towing Mirrors

Thank you soooo much!

Old 10-24-2019, 09:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSteve
03 Dakota. I’m pulling a 7’ x 12’ cargo trailer. I have the sport mirrors (5x7?) and can see the traffic on either side of me just fine. If I replace these mirrors with the 6x9s that were an option on some Dakotas, will they give the extra view needed to pull this trailer safely? Or maybe someone has another option? I can find add-ons for every style of Dakota mirror except the one I have... the sport mirror. Thanks in advance.

The main thing is to be able to see. If you like the current mirrors, you can get slip on towing mirrors. These increase the view when towing and remove when you aren't. If you don't want to go this route, and it takes a bit to find a set of the bigger ones, the round spot mirrors help but I've found the rectangular wedge mirrors work a little better.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 PM
MrSteve
Default Towing Mirrors

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The main thing is to be able to see. If you like the current mirrors, you can get slip on towing mirrors. These increase the view when towing and remove when you aren't. If you don't want to go this route, and it takes a bit to find a set of the bigger ones, the round spot mirrors help but I've found the rectangular wedge mirrors work a little better.
M

Thanks for the wisdom!

Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

FYI the dumbo mirrors can be found on many durangos, but they do exist on the SLT dakotas.

Most are generic black, but some are body color.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:07 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
FYI the dumbo mirrors can be found on many durangos, but they do exist on the SLT dakotas.

Most are generic black, but some are body color.

As long as you make sure to get the color code, you can paint them to match and it looks fairly decent. My Escalade had a broken mirror when I got it and it's the same color as the rest of the car now. See, I don't ALWAYS paint my cars with a roller.

Quick Reply: Towing Mirrors