2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota shuts off when slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 04:01 AM
yeabrooo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota shuts off when slowing down

Hello,

I have a 2000 Dakota V6 3.9 liter engine. Recently, and randomly, when I'm slowing down, the car started to turn off. Then it happened while I was stopped behind a red light and again while in park. For the first time the other day, I was driving at about 30mph and it turned off.

I replaced the throttle position sensor, but the problem happened again. Not sure how to diagnose it since there are no error codes. Any advice would be appreciated. I tried to look up videos and read, but a lot of different things are being suggested and some don't seem relevant to me, but then again, I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Is there any signs of stutter, vibration, hesitation, or anything else just before it happens?

Old 10-25-2019, 08:40 PM
yeabrooo

Originally Posted by magnethead
Is there any signs of stutter, vibration, hesitation, or anything else just before it happens?
Nothing that I've noticed. It seems like maybe the RPM just cuts? After it turns off, if I try to start it again, sometimes it starts right away. Other times, engine will turn, but won't start. If I leave it alone though, after 10 minutes, it'll start again.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Have you checked or replaced the plugs? Cleaned throttle body? Replaced IAC valve? Used OEM TPS?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:36 PM
yeabrooo

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Have you checked or replaced the plugs? Cleaned throttle body? Replaced IAC valve? Used OEM TPS?
I've replaced the plugs and the TPS only. The TPS I bought from O'Reilly's. They had two kinds, I bought the more expensive one with as lifetime warranty. I'll Google how to clean the throttle body, then I'll do the IAC valve (not sure what that is). I noticed today that my RPM slightly fluctuates when I'm stopped behind a red light and also in park. If I place it in neutral and press the gas, when the RPM drops, it goes down to below 500. It seems like it's about to stall but then it doesn't quite die and keeps going.

I'll try your suggestions and update the post. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Use Mopar IAC (idle air control valve) and TPS. These vehicles don't do so well with aftermarkets.

The following users liked this post:
yeabrooo (11-01-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

That sounds like a slow/failing IAC. Get a mopar one and start there.

The following users liked this post:
yeabrooo (11-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Dakota shuts off when slowing down