2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

setting timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:44 PM
KYCARHUSTLE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting timing

i rece ntly changed head gasket in my 97 2.5 5sp
i got everything back together and the only reason im dealing with timing cuz i was paining everything sounded like good idea cuz ive done this b4 when first got truck was i peces so figured no big deal top dead center compression stroke button pointed at #er one all thst but when i go to start it turns couple seconds and wihout me letting go of the key stops if i let key go back where it naturally sits and turn again it turns the starter and motor couple secs again and stops i even thought well maybe i didnt have it on compression stroke so i turned the dist 180° same outcome if somebody can point out the error in my ways please do lol

Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

If the engine is locking up on the starter, that's a bad thing. Try to spin it around with the plugs out. If it still stops, get your trusty breakerbar and balancer bolt socket, and turn the engine over manually. Hopefully you don't have a valve hanging open or worse.

Quick Reply: setting timing