2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

front diff starting to leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020 | 10:20 AM
wheily
|
Professional
Default front diff starting to leak

well after 6 weeks of not being aloud to work on my truck (apperantly when your foots in a cast your not aloud to change your own oil but but destroying the cast twice pushing in cluch is ok)... i finally got to to the oil change on my truck 99 4x4 sport 3.9 and noticed my front diff is starting to leak out the pinion seal ..so i was wondering is there a crush sleave or any thing that might get messed up if i replace seal my self? also on a side note i just noticed after 2 years the door tag says i am sapposed to have 215.75.15 tires not 235s but to me that seems way to small ?

Old 01-08-2020 | 04:48 PM
primem
Record Breaker

as long as you get the total torque to rotation the same or up to 4 inch pounds higher you are fine. if you are under or go past...you're f'ed. if you don't know what tttr is...have a shop do it. its not that expensive.

Old 01-08-2020 | 09:34 PM
magnethead
Legend

All trucks had the same window sticker generally speaking - it suits the base model and doesn't reflect any upgrades. Consider it a "Document of Minimums" if you will.

And yes there is a crush sleeve and yes the pinion seal is easy to do given the correct tools and technique.

Old 01-08-2020 | 11:21 PM
wheily
|
Professional

thanks for the replys ...ill probably let the one local shop i like repair it for me as i need the lower ball joints done too..llucky for me the fluid level is still full and it is just wet on seal it self no puddles and theres know play in pinion

Quick Reply: front diff starting to leak