2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 AM
reomack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension noise

Some time ago I posted about noise in the front suspension. I thought it was coming from the roll bar mounts and looked at the mounts and bushings very carefully and could find nothing that would make the kind of noise I was hearing, so I gave up and lived with it. Then, in the process of installing new front axles I notice that the upper ball joint boots were trashed and decided to change them out. After removing and replacing both joints I took a hard look at them and found that I could move the ***** up and down in the sockets almost a quarter of an inch. When I test drove the truck after putting in the new axles and ball joints the front end noise had gone away. So it was the worn joints all the time. Just a word to the wise. If you have banging in the front suspension take a hard look at your upper ball joints.

Last edited by reomack; 02-09-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-09-2020, 10:12 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by reomack
If you have banging in the front suspension take a hard look at your upper ball joints.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-joints-2.html

That's what quieted my front suspension... the upper BJs. New sway bar end links helped quite a bit too, so check your end links. Before the work, the front end used to clunk going over rough patches and speed bumps. She still drives quiet and tight today.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:50 PM
reomack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Endlinks

NO end links on my 4WD Quad, but thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Front suspension noise