2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 05:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Zingo
SOLVED!!!

​​It was the airbag module.
In addition to my 03 dakota, an 03 durango also resides here. I robbed the module out of the durango, put in it my truck and the airbag light went away. I'm assuming the little control board inside the module corroded and/or somehow bridged/shorted together the 2 lines for the driver "squib" circuit. The circuit was shorted out before it even left the module housing.
I'll take it apart after I reassemble everything and see what it looks like.
How did you get to the module? How much of the dash has to come out?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
How did you get to the module? How much of the dash has to come out?
​​​​​​I have a bench seat where the middle part folds up. If you have the large fixed center console things are obviously going to be different. Here's a couple quick pics to help explain. The module is right behind the carpet outlined with the square.
I took out the cup holder console after removing three 8mm bolts hidden under the rubber inserts. Then cut one slit in the carpet to let me peel the carpet to both the left and right sides of the floor hump so I could reach my hands around the sides and back of the module. Then used a 10mm ratcheting wrench to remove the three bolts holding the module down. It's a little awkward/tedious because it's a tight space but not "difficult" by any means. Then undo the electrical plug and out it comes.
None of the dash has to come apart. You may not even have to cut the carpet, but I cut it before realizing it might not be totally necessary. Thankfully the slit is nearly invisible after putting the cup holders back in. There is only one tiny cut piece also seen inside the square.
​​​

Last edited by Zingo; 02-22-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

So you didn't even have to move the plastic lower bezel of the dash? I always thought you did.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:43 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
So you didn't even have to move the plastic lower bezel of the dash? I always thought you did.
Nope. On the Durango (same bench setup as Dakota) I removed the module, used it for testing in the Dakota, then put it back in the Durango again without touching the dash at all.
​​​​​
​​​​​

​​​

Quick Reply: Airbag light