2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Helppppp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Austin Mcgregor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helppppp

So I’m trying to remove my transmission but I have no idea how to get the top four bolts for the transmission crossmember, I have two of the bottom bolts out along with the driveshaft out. It’s a 2001 dodge Dakota with the 3.9 and it’s rear wheel drive

Old 07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Mcgregor
So I’m trying to remove my transmission but I have no idea how to get the top four bolts for the transmission crossmember, I have two of the bottom bolts out along with the driveshaft out. It’s a 2001 dodge Dakota with the 3.9 and it’s rear wheel drive

I haven't worked on your generation but I pulled the cross member from an '02 Ram and it's pretty straight forward. There should be two nuts holding the bottom of the rear transmission mount to the cross member. The bolts for the cross member are nut and bolt, at least on everything I've worked on. Use the box end wrench (open will work but tends to slip off) and then just turn the bottom with a ratchet. Use a floor jack to lift the transmission on the pan (a piece of wood will protect the pan) and once the bolts are put, the cross member can be twisted a bit and comes right out.

Quick Reply: Helppppp