2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

F∆¢€|ng heater core

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 08:00 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default F∆¢€|ng heater core

SOB. On my 99 club cab I just got done replacing everything from the timing chain out because of an antifreeze leak behind the alternator between the block and the timing cover. I don't get why this is such a problem on these engines I have seen it several times. Never used to be such an issue on the LA engines that the magnums were derived from. Especially seeing as how there is a receipt in the glove box from the PO from a shop for this same repair about 30k miles ago. They charged him royally for the service too. <br />anyway 2 weeks go by and get shut my truck off in my son's driveway and when I went to leave and started the truck I had instant fog. Being as how I'd left the AC on when I had shut it off it cleared pretty quick. No smell yet. That came next morning when I went to work. Again as soon as I started the truck. <br />Right now I unhooked and bypassed, hooked the hoses together as I don't need heat when it's 90* out. Project for another day. <br />I have done heater cores before, most recently on my 92 and 96 Dakota's. This is the best working ac of my 3 daily drivers so I don't want to crack that open right now. <br />ive never done a 97+ Dakota, any hints, cheats gotchas etc? I didn't know it's the same PN as my older dakotas took. <br />Everything on this truck that I have had to touch except for the repair from hitting the deer and now this damn heater core, has been something that I have a receipt for that was paid for to be fixed by the PO.l and I have always hated redo's. <br />Granted I have recierec going back to 2002 from the work the PO has paid for, it's been the work done in about the last 3 years of his ownership that has caused my headaches. <br />Especially frustrating since in that time he put less than 3k miles on it. The truck got sold because the keys got taken away from him being he was 86 years old.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:02 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

And unlike the shop that did this job originally I replaced the timing chain when I was in there and the pitted timing cover, plus the heater hoses and water pump. Every thing I touched got replaced. I don't want to go in there again while I own it.

Quick Reply: F∆¢€|ng heater core