2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM
andrewgauger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Slipping

My 2000 Dodge Dakota v6 4x4 is just about to hit 100,000 miles and to celebrate, we have slippage. I noticed it twice now. I commute 4 miles a day, the mornings haven't noticed it yet but last 2 days I drove home I noticed RPM go up and power loss, briefly before it re-engaged. I think I heard a whine while coming off the line too, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, I've heard transmissions are soft on these. Any way to figure out the problem? I've already checked the transmission fluid pulling the stick when the engine was off after driving. We had the fluid and filter done about 5,000 miles ago.

Last edited by andrewgauger; 10-15-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:26 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Transmission fluid has to be checked when at operating temperature, engine running. If it's low fluid and just started slipping, topping it off should correct the problem but the innards of any automatic transmission won't tolerate being low for long.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:14 AM
andrewgauger
Default Fluid

Sure enough it was low. Added a pint and will drive today then recheck. Appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:29 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought my 99 with 105K miles on it, and since Day 1 it "flared" going from 2nd to 3rd. By 120K, I had to pull it and overhaul it for that problem. Clutches were like new at that point (I have the history on the truck since 02 and 52k miles-- had had 2 "pan drop" fluid and filter changes in that time but nothing else done to trans before I got the truck. Glad it had had "that" much. got reciepts for both times it had been done.
Come to find out around that time there was a slight flaw/defect in the piston in one of the clutch packs, and the seal pack in the rebuild kit said something about all seal kits from that manufacturer put together after a certain date (I think it was around 02 or s0 as I remember) came with an "updated" piston seal for that location in the trans from then on, there was a paper in the seal kit that explained this.....
and my dealer trans buddies confirmed this as a "common problem" with trannys of this time frame. the only real "problem" I could actually see as I took it apart was a few chunks out of the front band which I replaced.
I also did a few upgrades while I was in there. I put a heavy duty billet servo (aftermarket product) in for the front band as well as a billet accumulator, and replaced a couple of springs (didn't do a full shift kit as I normally do I use a Transgo TF-ODjr when I do put a kit in them) as this truck only has a doggy 3.9 in it.....

Old 10-17-2020, 10:40 AM
andrewgauger

I've always been suspect of the transmission. After filling it with a full quart so it read nearly max, I drove to work and it kept whining at very low speeds. Drove it home and didn't have problems.

I don't think the truck is worth the effort of dropping a trans, paying for a rebuild, and reinstalling.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:48 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

why not? what shape is the rest of the truck in? If maintained theres no reason it cant go another 100K or more. In my case I rebuild my own tranny, I did the one in my 96 4wd as well.... a truck I got cheap at the time BECAUSE the trans was laying in the bed..... and that one really wasnt all that torn up within, either.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:00 PM
andrewgauger

Well my kids are grown and they don't fit in the back seat as well anymore. It being the 3.9, there's not much power. Most of all though, the wife doesn't trust it. Plus I don't have half the tools I'd need to get it done.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slipping