2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Seal/o ring

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 06:00 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow, is that old school. Yes, it is possible to jack up an engine with one of those. Are you going to like it? Nope. With that you're going to need to remove the hood, or at least lay it back because your support will have to be higher than the hood will go. While there is some leeway for moving the engine around at the end of the chain, you may find yourself moving the truck around the engine. Those things also don't have fine up and down control, you'll have to move it a click at a time but only actually need a quarter click between shifts. An engine jack is safer and far more versatile than that will be.

You will also need a chain to attach to two points on the engine that uses large bolts, or your engine may already have large rings attached for engine pulling. The money guys have a neat little gadget with a turn handle that will let you shift the engine angle as you go, but I've always found a chain to be sufficient. I normally grab on by the heads using the holes for attaching accessories on GM engines, I've never pulled a Dodge engine although that will be changing here in a few weeks.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:50 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll look at manual .looking like oil pan leak mostly but I'll look at both

Interesting...Hmmm.

this online cardiagn manual for dakota 3.9 automatic says different..Very different application on 3.9 than 2.5..etc.
Were yours the 2.5,4.7,5.9? An not 3.9 maybe.

Does specify mopar brand sealant in other page in different application so may be approved .
I followed the 3.9 section.

Hmmm
They make it look easy..lol
Cardiagn site has what looks like a good manual..

The 4.2 say4.totally different procedure too.drain coolant ,remove TB resonator,intake manifold etc ..
wow what huge difference in applications!

this is on 4.7 [not mine]

Last edited by hidden1; 01-16-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Seal/o ring