2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

5.9 Magnum burning excessive oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Mile High Jeeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum burning excessive oil

I have a 2001 Durango 5.9 (Magnum) R/T. It burns plenty of oil, and I wanna find out why and where. I replaced the intake plenum Gasket and plate with the Hughes Engines kit about a year ago.

If I let the truck idle for 5-10 minutes then rev it up, a HUGE cloud of blue smoke comes out of the exhaust that lasts for like 1 minute. I have top it off weekly and it's always in the 'ADD' zone on the dipstick. It's gotten so bad I believe it destroyed my catalytic converter because the truck doesn't pass emissions anymore and it has a P0420 code.

Could a bad PCV valve make things get this bad? I replaced it like 3 years ago and it still makes a clicking noise (kind of excessive). Or is it something more internal like cam seals or something of that nature? How common is that on these 5.9 Magnum engines?

Old 01-21-2021, 09:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

how many miles? Valve covers been replaced with some that have no baffles? The 360 in my 01 Durango goes thru about 1 qt/1000 miles. about 150K on the short block. Has hughes plate and BRAND NEW (not rebuilt.reman) EQ heads when I put it in about 15K miles ago. no smoke cloud, still had plenty of cross hatch on cylinders and no ridge at top.....
original engine had 258K, no oil consumption but had some lower end bearing knock. I plan to overhaul that one for a project car I have.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:03 AM
Mile High Jeeb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
how many miles? Valve covers been replaced with some that have no baffles? The 360 in my 01 Durango goes thru about 1 qt/1000 miles. about 150K on the short block. Has hughes plate and BRAND NEW (not rebuilt.reman) EQ heads when I put it in about 15K miles ago.
The motor has around 180k or so, I swapped it in like 3 years ago with 149k miles. It has the stock valve covers and I replaced those gaskets right before I did the plenum gasket. No engine quest heads either. What do you mean by "no baffles"?

Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I’m going to guess bad valve stem seals or worn piston rings or both. Do a compression test.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...test-14912158/

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum burning excessive oil