2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 12:41 AM
Dakotaprerunner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What am I looking at?

Hi Id appreciate anyone who could tell me what part this is. I dont have much experience with cars (did my first oil change 2 years ago) but I want to learn and save money by fixing it myself, already got most tools needed.

Front of my 2002 dakota broke off after switching from 4x4 into 2 wheel drive. Dont know qhat part to look for to order replacement.

Thanks yall

Old 03-22-2021, 02:04 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is your front differential housing. It contains the gears that redirects power from your transfer case out to your front wheels. It is going to be cheaper to replace the whole assembly rather than trying to swap the internals into a new housing
If you look for front differential on Ebay there are a zillion of them. try to find a good low mileage one if you can. Also, it looks like you have 3:55 gears in it (based on the sticker) so make sure you get the same gears in a replacement. Years 2001-2004 for Dakotas or 2001-2003 for Durango should fit.

EDIT: you are going to want to check the cv boot on the axle shaft as well, It looks like it may be damaged. It's the part that is slinging grease all over the place in the picture.

Last edited by tonypilot7; 03-22-2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:18 AM
Dakotaprerunner

Ok thanks alot, appreciat it.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:42 PM
Dakotaprerunner

Hi again, Another question, Ive potentially found a durango that I could part out, it has the gear ratio 3:55 like mine but the front axle sticker says 3600# mine says 205mm, I cant find any info on if the swap would work. Do you know what those mean? I guess 3600 pounds capacity on the durango? Why is mine in mm? Thanks

Old 03-23-2021, 12:19 AM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the 205mm relates to the ring gear diameter. I am not 100 percent on that, but it is the reason that my front diff which is a 175mm from 1999 won't work on a post 2000 Dak/Dur.

The 3600# is the weight rating of the vehicle's front end. I think..

If the Durango is '98 or later you can run the vin from it over here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

That will give you the build sheet which has the axle type and gear ratio from the factory.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:59 AM
Dakotaprerunner

Ok, thanks I decided to take it appart soon and see if it can be welded back together, Its cast aluminum which males it extra difficult but I know a welder that might be able to, he will take a look at it. Otherwise Ill just buy a used housing off ebay i appreciate it alot. I really didnt know where to start at all not even knowing what the part was called.

Quick Reply: What am I looking at?